Perez's daughter, Dilena Perez-Dilan, says her father is an avid crabber.
Perez was rushed to Cooper University Hospital in Camden, where he was quickly admitted into the intensive care unit.
Angel Perez went crabbing on July 2nd in the Maurice River.
Perez-Dilan said that other family members and friends have experienced skin problems after going into the water at Matts Landing. About one in seven people with the infection dies, according to the CDC, and limb amputations are common. Anyone with liver disease or a weakened immune system should also avoid eating raw shellfish because the bacteria can also be spread through food. Dilena says doctors blame a bacteria called Vibrio.
'He is in critical condition, ' Perez-Dilan told the website.
"We've all been praying and I think our spirituality, our religion, has been allowing us to get through without going into a chaotic mess", said Perez-Dilan. His forearms are black in color, they have blisters, cuts and sores'. "The infection has spread to his blood.his skin; you can see it spreading from his feet all the way above his kneecap".
"He's been praising God nonstop", Perez-Dilan said.
Doctors are waiting to see if Perez responds to antibiotics, his daughter says. She now has a rash on her leg, and her leg [had] painful swelling, ' Perez-Dilan said.
She said her father's swelling was so severe, his limbs didn't look real. Brackish water is a salty combination of fresh and seawater often found in places like the Chesapeake Bay where the ocean's salt water mixes with fresh water. "He's just happy to have a second chance". The bacteria is more unsafe to those with compromised immune systems, like Perez, who has Parkinson's disease.
Representatives from the Cumberland County Department of Health could not immediately be reached by TIME for comment, but told NJ.com that this type of bacteria is known to exist in waters in New Jersey, especially in summertime. "Be careful. The water, as much as we need water, it can be poisonous".
- How to watch the semi-finals
- Airbus boss Enders backs UK PM May's latest Brexit position
- Jurgen Klopp sends Loris Karius Liverpool FC message
- Golf roundup: Na takes 5-stroke win at Greenbrier
- Trump, NATO head Stoltenberg have testy exchange at summit
- Croatia play down fatigue fears as they eye England scalp
- Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin Share Steamy Kisses in NYC
- Croatia 'stopped Messi' so can cope with Kane - Dalic
- LONDON FALLING: US Embassy Warns Americans of 'VIOLENT' PROTESTS During Trump Visit
- Thai PM thanks people involved in cave rescue