Belgium, who were placed on arguably the tougher side of the playoff tree by virtue of finishing ahead of England in Group G, now go home having played both Brazil and France in the knockout stages. Both teams have had opportunities.
Noted Hazard, after Belgium's sensational last-gasp 3-2 round of sixteen win against Japan.
First, let's cover the suspensions. "Before the tournament I fancied France but Belgium have the momentum and I think they will win it, 2-1". Meunier has been effective for Belgium, but hasn't shown the flash and talent that make him successful in France. In his place expect Nacer Chadli or Yannick Carrasco in the midfield.
"My disappointment is huge", said former Wigan and Everton boss Martinez. It's unknown how Martinez will set up his squad against France, who present a similar defensive challenge. He is an obvious, natural role model for any forward, and the ideal one for, say, a precious, strong pacey striker who, like him, was born on the outskirts of Paris, and, like him, served his apprenticeship at Monaco and, like him, scored crucial goals to galvanise a World Cup campaign.
Henry, France's all-time top scorer, and second-most-capped player after Lilian Thuram, is trying to help Martinez mastermind a win over his own nation.
France started the tournament in Russian Federation slowly, struggling for goals in the group stages but hit their stride in an impressive 4-3 victory against Lionel Messi's Argentina in the first knockout round.
France have been the best team at this World Cup - and they proved it here. They did what was demanded of them and that proves they're team meant to be in the final four. It is a fantastic generation and in order to beat them we will have to play a great match. "We know what it takes and in such moments you forget any fatigue you may feel", said the 29-year-old. "We've strived to be as good as we could be at the global level and it's taken us two years to get there". On the Telemundo side, matches will be available via Telemundo Deportes En Vivo and NBC Sports; the Telemundo stations' apps; and across mobile, tablet and most connected TV devices.
France's players danced on the field after the final whistle and their fans sang in the stands long past the end of the match, surrounded by yellow-clad security.
- Release date for fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie pushed to 2021
- This is what Meghan Markle wore to her first royal christening
- Kylie Jenner Reveals She ''Got Rid'' of Her Famous Lip Fillers
- Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days
- US lists US$200b in Chinese goods to be hit with tariffs
- Illinois cop on desk duty after dispute over Puerto Rican shirt
- Tour de France: Chris Froome gains on rivals as jeering fades
- Thai cave rescue: All 12 boys and their coach rescued
- Incredible operation in pictures: All 12 boys, coach rescued from Thailand cave
- Sophie Gradon’s BF Aaron Armstrong Dead 3 Weeks After Reality Star’s Death