Cody Allen struggled in his attempt to close out a 4-0 lead and exited the game with the bases loaded, two outs, and the score 4-3.
"When I saw OT coming through the gate - and again, it's not that I don't think he can pitch - just not the guy I was expecting", Francona said, via The Athletic's C. Trent Rosecrans. "I know Carl is beating himself up right now, but that one lands on me". It's a wonder why Willis even thought Francona would be asking for Otero anyway, and why he didn't double-check.
Bauer was brilliant, striking out 12 over eight scoreless innings in his first appearance since being named to the All-Star team for the first time.
The Cleveland Indians were in great position to extend their lead in the AL Central on Tuesday night, taking a 4-0 lead into the ninth inning against the Cincinnati Reds.
Adam Duvall also doubled in a pair in the ninth, while Jose Peraza and Eugenio Suarez had RBI singles off Allen. Cincinnati's final seven batters reached base before Scooter Gennett ran into the third out on Suarez's hit. Pedro Martinez holds the record with eight in 2002.
Francona took the heat for the miscommunication after the game as only he can.
White Sox relievers Jace Fry and Bruce Rondon combined to allow five runs while recording just two total outs against the Cardinals. Raisel Iglesias worked the ninth for his second save in two nights and his 19th of the season. But Votto was actually 0-for-4 vs Otero until the double that won the game.
The Reds go 41-51 this year after the win at Progressive Field while the Indians fall to 49-41.
- Harry and Meghan due in Dublin for two-day visit
- England fans 'dare to dream' after World Cup win over Sweden
- Kim sets LPGA mark with 31-under total at Thornberry
- Matt Le Tissier's plan for England to reach the World Cup final
- Thibaut Courtois speaks out on Real Madrid link after Belgium beat Japan
- Apple's Taiwanese flag ban leads to iPhone crashes
- World's Ugliest Dog Zsa Zsa Passes Away
- Donte DiVincenzo has only $3.71 in his bank account
- Iran warns India of curtailing special privileges if oil imports reduced
- Jurgen Klopp sends Loris Karius Liverpool FC message