His son, Mark, tells of what his father said after the match.
One thing to keep an eye on in this match is the legs and how exhausted the players will be, especially with Croatia.
Gascoigne, visibly emotional having heard that recounting of the story for the first time, and his reaction serve as a display of how impactful Robson had been in his young life at that time.
England or Croatia stand between the 1998 winners and a second world crown, but France will be favourites to lift the trophy in Moscow on Sunday.
The team, led by Coach Stanislav Cherchesov, scored the third largest number of goals of all competing countries, while other teams scored seven goals against Russian Federation. That evenness is why France is the team to beat in the mind of Jeffrey Marcus, publisher of the World Cup newsletter "The Banter".
Paul Pogba dedicated France's World Cup semi-final win against Belgium to the 12 boys who survived a harrowing ordeal trapped underground in Thailand. "The game was very close, very tight and it was going to be decided by a little bit of luck in front of goal", said the Spaniard. I'm very proud of them.
The world now gets to see France's luxury squad, collectively valued in excess of $1 billion and headlined by teenage sensation Kylian Mbappe, in another major final.
"I'm not saying that I'm not proud of what we did all together 20 years ago".
Kane is leading the World Cup top scorer charts with six goals so far, and he has a chance to extend his lead over four-goal Romelu Lukaku when he takes on Croatia.
"At the World Cup we have teams who profit from players of other countries, with the justification that these players have the nationality of their team".
Sam Gavin, Senior Account Manager at M&S, said: "Some say the waistcoat is sending the team good luck, and we're asking the nation to get behind our team and show them support".
- All of Drake's Key Hot 100 Records
- New road signs can detect mobile phones are being used in vehicles
- Harry Kane's Norfolk uncle proudly watches the England captain in action
- Trump Supreme Court Announcement
- Cristiano Ronaldo joins Juventus from Real Madrid on four-year deal
- UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson resigns amid Cabinet's deep divisions over Brexit
- Turkey sacks 18,500 officers, soldiers and academics in coup crackdown
- Bugatti Chiron Divo lined up as downforce-honed variant
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation to reinforce Russia's threat in talks with Trump, Trudeau says
- Treacherous Thai cave rescue bid enters day two