Wednesday, 18 July 2018
Latest news
Main » Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days

Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days

11 July 2018

Four boys were brought out of the cave Monday and are "safe and conscious", Chiang Rai province acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said.

On Sunday, officials waited until several hours after the rescued boys had been transported to hospitals to announce their rescue.

Thailand's Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda has revealed the same divers who rescued the four boys will also conduct the next operation due to their knowledge of the terrain.

However, Saturday night, Musk tweeted that the cave was now closed for the rescue by divers, adding, "Will continue testing in LA in case needed later or somewhere else in the future".

The unidentified boys were carried out of the Tham Luang Nang Non cave on stretchers and into ambulances Monday before being airlifted to the Chiang Rai Pranukroh Hospital.

Xylem, which has a market capitalization of about US$12 billion, has previously helped in rescue operations after mine collapses in Pennsylvania and Chile. The four evacuated on Monday were also hospitalized, although their condition was not announced.

Pad kra pao, a Thai chicken dish, was said to be the first meal that the four boys asked for. They and were in good condition in hospital, officials said.

Kittichok Kankeaw, a teammate of Nattawut Takamsai, one of the trapped boys, said he would try to assist his friend to catch up at school.

Chiang Rai governor and operation chief Narongsak Osottanakorn confirmed at a press conference Sunday that he had met the boys and they were in "perfect" health.

Getting to and from where the boys are has been an exhausting round trip, even for the experienced divers.

After the four boys were removed from the cave, heavy rain started falling.

Each had to wear an oxygen mask to enable normal breathing, authorities said.

Four more boys and the coach remain in the cave.

The aide, Sitthichai Klangpattana, didn't comment on the boys' health or say how well the operation has gone. The diver, the first fatality of the rescue effort, was working in a volunteer capacity and died on a mission to place air canisters along the passage to where the boys are, necessary for divers to safely travel the five- to six-hour route. The delivery announcement comes on the second day of an operation to remove the boys.

As of Tuesday, four other team members and their 25-year-old assistant coach are still stranded in the cave. Officials said Monday that despite rain Monday morning, the weather was holding out so far.

Soldiers arrive outside the Tham Luang cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 8, 2018.

Omar Reygadas, who spent 69 days trapped underground in Chile in 2010 with 32 other miners, said faith and prayer, as well as humour were very important to the miners at times when they doubted they would get out.

One of the biggest concerns in the rescue operation is an area of the cave that is just 15 inches across so the boys have to separate from the divers in order to fit through. More than 1000 journalists from across the world have descended on northern Thailand to report the story.

Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days