Russell Knox holed two incredible putts on the 18th green as he beat Ryan Fox in a play-off to win his second European Tour title at the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open hosted by the Rory Foundation.
Knox closed the tournament with a magnificent round of 66 at the fabulous Ballyliffin Golf Club (Watch Course VLOG), which turned out to be a wonderful venue.
He secured his Open Championship berth by sharing second at last week's French Open and now heads home for next week's Scottish Open at Gullane before teeing up at Carnoustie.
"My goal was to come to Europe for a month and then try and win a tournament, and to finish tied second last week in France and then to win this great tournament, I feel very lucky and unbelievable".
"I had the apple in my hand... and I just saw someone at the last minute", said Knox. This is a heck of a start, but I feel like I've got a lot more to go.
"It's been an eye-opener to see how much goes into running a golf tournament and it's been great for me, especially for the future", McIlroy added. "I hit the ball the best I've hit it on Thursday and I felt like I sort of kept it up".
World number five Rahm looked out of contention following a triple bogey at the second but an eagle at the sixth undid some of the damage and his four closing birdies included a tap-in at the 18th after his wedge approach hit the pin.
While he may have missed out on the title Fox gained a significant consolation prize with his strong showing earning him a place at the British Open.
Knox was controversially overlooked for a Ryder Cup wild card in 2016 despite being ranked 20th in the world at the time, higher than seven members of the European team who would go on to lose at Hazeltine. "I heard Russ holed a big one on 18 to get in the playoff and he obviously holed a massive one in the playoff as well". I've done it before in the US on the last hole, 12 feet.
The consoloation for Fox is that he did claim one of the Open qualifying spots given to three players in the top 10 and not already exempt. I read the putt and I was like, 'Just don't aim.
- JetBlue crew rescues dog in distress with oxygen mask
- Liverpool Expect To Sign Xherdan Shaqiri In Next Two Weeks
- England fans 'dare to dream' after World Cup win over Sweden
- Apple's Taiwanese flag ban leads to iPhone crashes
- Your Guide To Buying DJI Drones In Singapore (Complete With Price Comparisons)
- England Have Been Warming Up With Rubber Chickens Ahead Of Croatia
- Airbus boss Enders backs UK PM May's latest Brexit position
- World's Ugliest Dog Zsa Zsa Passes Away
- American tourist killed by stray bullet in Mexico City
- Pakistan beat Australia in Harare