Police in Pakistan say a suicide bomber has killed a secular party leader and 11 supporters during an election rally in the northwestern city of Peshawar. He said that almost 8 kilograms of TNT explosives were used in the blast.
The death toll is feared to go up as at least 20 of the injured have been stated to be in a critical condition. His father, Bashir Bilour, also a prominent ANP politician, was killed by a suicide bomber in 2012.
Rescue staff reached the spot and shifted the bodies and wounded people to local hospital.
Confirming Haroon Bilour's martyrdom, the spokesman said that Haroon's son, Danial Bilour, was safe. Mr Bilour was taken to hospital but later succumbed to his injuries.
The Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) confirmed that it was a suicide blast.
Haroon Bilour was contesting the election from PK-87 on ANP's ticket. The TTP spokesperson at the time, Ehsanullah Ehsan, had told journalists that Haroon was the target, but "unfortunately Ghulam Ahmed Bilour got injured".
Police said head of the suspected suicide bomber has been found from rooftop of a building, adding that almost eight kilogram of explosive material was used by the attacker.
Bashir was targeted in the Qisa Khwani Bazaar during an electioneering rally.
The blast left more than 25 people injured, in the first major incident of violence ahead of general elections in Pakistan.
"Six people include Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf chairman Imran Khan, Awami National Party leaders Asfandyar Wali and Ameer Haider Hoti, Qaumi Watan Party head Aftab Sherpao, Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl leader Akram Khan Durrani and Hafiz Saeed's son Talha Saeed".
On July 9, the National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA) had briefed the Senate Committee on Interior about threats to the leaders of the political parties especially those of ANP.
- Meghan Markle Goes for Green at Prince Louis’ Christening
- Nobel widow Liu Xia leaves China after 8 years' house arrest
- Ronaldo signs for Juventus
- US lists US$200b in Chinese goods to be hit with tariffs
- Chelsea star Eden Hazard says joining Real Madrid is every player's dream
- Illinois cop on desk duty after dispute over Puerto Rican shirt
- Polar fitness app exposed location of soldiers and government agents
- Release date for fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie pushed to 2021
- Incredible operation in pictures: All 12 boys, coach rescued from Thailand cave
- This is what Meghan Markle wore to her first royal christening