The campaign has successfully pushed the song up several music charts, including the Amazon digital music chart, where the song is now at number one, ahead of President Donald Trump's official visit to the United Kingdom. As of Saturday, "American Idiot" has shot back up to the Top 10 on Britain's iTunes and Amazon charts; on Monday, Chart Data reported that it has reentered the Top 20 on Britain's official singles chart midway through the charting week, with just a few days to go until Trump touches down on British soil. The song was originally written, in part, about then-President George W. Bush. On Amazon in the UK, "American Idiot" is now the best-selling song. The Twitter group, called "American Idiot For UK No.1 When Trump Visits", regularly urges Trump critics to purchase, download and listen to the song in order to boost its ratings. In response to reports that Trump sent North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a copy of the Elton John song "Rocket Man", the senator joked that Kim should return the favor by giving Trump "American Idiot".
The president is scheduled to stay in London on the night of his arrival but will spend the rest of his trip outside of the capital.
Anti-Trump protesters have taken to social media to share their sentiments on the "Let's give him the welcome he deserves", social media accounts for the campaign wrote, adding, "We're doing this for the amusement as it WILL annoy him".
Billy Joe Armstrong of Green Day (C) and the cast of "American Idiot" sing "21 Guns" at the 52nd annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles January 31, 2010.
- Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic prediction made by Greg Rusedski
- Here's What To Do If You Are Banned From The Thanos Subreddit
- Russian cargo ship docks at ISS in record time
- Arsenal sign Uruguay World Cup star Torreira
- Emmanuel Eboue Arrested, Friends Concerned for His Mental State
- Roseanne Barr not doing TV interview after all
- Pride organisers say sorry after anti-trans group leads march
- Drake Breaks The Beatles Record with Seven Simultaneous Top 10 Songs
- Wimbledon 2018: Slovak tennis start Dominika Cibulkova accused of bad sportsmanship
- PGA Tour: Kelly Kraft fires 63 to lead at Greenbrier