But the National Weather Service said Beryl remained on track to move south of the U.S. Virgin Islands and across western Puerto Rico on Monday, potentially bringing 2 to 3 inches (5-8 cm) of rain and gusty winds to the U.S. territory still recovering from the devastation wrought previous year by Hurricane Maria.
Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria in September, remains under a state of emergency.
The National Hurricane Center will still be watching this area of showers and thunderstorms as there is a 30% it could redevelop into a tropical system once it moves over the warmer waters near the Bahamas and the upper level wind shear relaxes later this week. As a result, it is forecast to continue generating life-threatening waves and rip currents for the Mid-Atlantic beaches.
"We can't take chances with weather", Jeffrey Xavier, manager of Mr.
"Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello said in a press conference late Saturday that the island could experience power outages and urged people without sturdy roofs to move in with relatives or a government shelter". They're the ones who have been forgotten.
Beryl was moving at a relatively fast clip of 23 miles per hour. Its maximum sustained wind speeds were at 45 miles per hour. It was seen staying well off the USA coast.
In the Atlantic Tropical Storm Chris is slowly beginning to strengthen with sustained winds now up to 50 miles per hour and gusts reaching 60 miles per hour.
Rains of up to five inches are possible in the Leeward Islands, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico through Tuesday, according to the NHC.
A disorganized Tropical Storm Beryl was closing in on the chain of islands that form the outer perimeter of the Caribbean, where it was expected to bring tropical storm conditions to the islands of Guadeloupe and Dominica on Sunday night.
Although Beryl has lost strength and is expected to gradually weaken, forecasters said it will produce strong winds and heavy rainfall across the Leeward Islands, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Hispaniola through Tuesday.
- Anne Frank's family tried to escape to US, but hit roadblocks
- De Bruyne and Belgium defeat France as England beat Croatia
- England's Gareth Southgate: Young squad 'not the finished article' yet
- UK's Brexit Secretary David Davis has resigned
- Brexit Secretary David Davis resigns
- Verstappen wins as Hamilton retires
- Iran executes 8 ISIS terrorists behind 2017 attacks in Tehran
- Jordan Pickford is England's No.1 because of his distribution
- China pushes for wider ties with east Europe
- England vs India 2018, 3rd T20I - Statistical Highlights