The government of Dominica said it would shut down its water system and Puerto Rico's governor warned of likely new power outages.
The storm that had been the Atlantic season's first hurricane has been losing power, but residents on islands hit hard by storms past year stocked up on food and water Saturday and prepared for possible damaging winds, rains and waves.
Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit urged people to stay inside and observe a curfew. "They should not let their guard down", he said.
"We are in a vulnerable state", he said.
Chris was upgraded from a tropical depression to a tropical storm on Sunday.
The storm was centered about 150 miles (245 kilometers) south of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
The NHC forecasts the storm to meander off the coast for the next several days.
After pushing across Dominica and moving into the Caribbean Sea the remnants of Beryl will encounter strong wind shear weakening the system even more but it still could produce some rainy weather with 30-40 miles per hour gusts for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Island late Monday and into Tuesday. Clean Bed & Breakfast in Dominica, said in a phone interview.
Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rossello met with his Cabinet and meteorological experts on Sunday to prepare for Beryl's arrival, Rossello's office said in a statement. Some 60,000 people still have only tarps for roofs.
Those living near Puerto Rico's south coast were wary of the rain forecast, since they were the first ones hit by Maria and saw some of the biggest damage.
National Weather Service meteorologist Carlos Anselmi told the AP that 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 centimeters) of rain was expected across Puerto Rico, with double that in isolated areas.
According to the 5:00 a.m. advisory, the center of Tropical Storm Beryl was located near latitude 13.7 North, longitude 56.0 West. Beryl is moving toward the west-northwest near 20 miles per hour (31 km/h) and this motion with an increase in forward speed is expected during the next couple of days.
- 4 of 12 Boys Trapped in Thailand Cave Have Been Rescued
- Jordan Henderson briefly turned into Luka Modric during Sweden 0-2 England
- Daniel Cormier, Brock Lesnar Trade Shoves in Octagon Following UFC 226 Headliner
- Verstappen wins as Hamilton retires
- Minister defends UK's Brexit plan amid party, business unrest
- Barcelona announce Paulinho sale to Guangzhou Evergrande
- Anne Frank's family tried to escape to US, but hit roadblocks
- Netflix mulling over 'Ultra' subscription for $17 per month
- Alonso puts it on the limit in 'best qualifying of the year'
- Iran summons Dutch envoy over expulsion of 2 diplomats