In less than a day, Tropical Storm Beryl was upgraded to the first hurricane of the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season and another system brewing near the Carolinas has a high chance of tropical development. Beryl quickly strengthened into a hurricane and has maximum sustained winds of 80 miles per hour with higher gusts and is moving to the west at 14 miles per hour. It was moving west at 14 miles per hour, with sustained winds of 75 miles per hour.
The year's first named storm, Alberto, hit in late May.
Beryl is considered a small storm, with hurricane force winds extending out about 10 miles (20 kilometres) from its centre.
Below is additional information from the National Hurricane Center.
And the tiny but quickly strengthening Category 1 Beryl is forecast to remain a hurricane as it approaches the Lesser Antilles. Beryl was moving toward the west near 14 miles per hour.
Meanwhile, a well defined low pressure system about midway between the southeastern United States and Bermuda is producing disorganized showers and a few thunderstorms.
Meantime, forecasters are also keeping an eye on a weather system off the coast of North Carolina that could turn into a tropical depression over the weekend.
"Because of the small size of Beryl and anticipated weakening, widespread wind damage is not expected", said AccuWeather meteorologist Jake Sojda.
Tropical waves, the origin of many late summer and early fall hurricanes and the predecessor disturbance for Beryl, typically don't have enough moisture in July to become better developed.
Beryl is forecast to strengthen as it tracks westward. The red-shaded area denotes the potential path of the center of the tropical cyclone.
Officials said they will open 424 shelters across Puerto Rico as a preventive measure and urged people to monitor the storm's progress.
Beryl is precocious, in that the first hurricane in the Atlantic Basin, which includes the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, on average doesn't form until August 10. Wind shear is expected to increase around the storm over the weekend into early next week.
- New OyxgenOS Beta Brings Project Treble Support to OnePlus 5 and 5T
- Kyrgios serves notice of intent at Wimbledon
- Kaley Cuoco in surgery just days after wedding
- Mikel Grateful To Nigerian Police For Father’s Rescue From Abductors
- Pompeo seeks clarity in denuclearization talks with NKorea
- Toyota Supra Coming to NASCAR Xfinity Series
- At least 27 killed, 47 missing as torrential rain pounds Japan
- T20 worldwide : Hales helps England beat India; level series 1-1
- France manager Didier Deschamps relieved Paul Pogba didn't lose temper vs. Uruguay
- Solid Swedes to make England wait