While the "wind-down" is effective, Ford's government has committed to honoring arrangements or contracts that have already been signed through programs for energy efficiency, insulations, and window retrofits.
"The previous government attempted to institute a cap on ticket resales with no way to enforce that cap, resulting in less consumer protection", Ford spokesperson Simon Jeffries said in an email statement to the CBC. "Today we are keeping that promise", he said in his statement Tuesday, reports iPolitics.
The leader of the progressive conservatives, who officially took the oath Friday, said that the abolition of quotas and restrictions for the market of hydrocarbons will be the first item in the list of his works. Keith Brooks, program director for the advocacy group Environmental Defence told Castanet Ford must first revoke or amend the regulation. And Brooks also brings up the issue of formally notifying Ontario's partners in the Western Climate Initiative (WCI).
"Cap-and-trade and carbon tax schemes are no more than government cash grabs that do nothing for the environment, while hitting people in the wallet in order to fund big government programs", said Ford.
"I think that there's a lot of businesses, quite frankly, that still have a lot of questions, I'm sure, about how this is all going to proceed", he said. We'll give you an update when we hear back from the Premier's office.
The NDP and the Greens have said Ford's rush to pull out of the cap-and-trade system could stick taxpayers with the tab for billions in legal fees, penalties and other costs.
If Ottawa does put in a federal carbon tax, Ford has vowed to challenge it in court - a threat that aligns him with Saskatchewan's government. A spokesman for Ford said the ministers' offices are not now staffed and requests for comment should go to the premier's office.
- Watford Have a £4m Bid For West Bromwich Albion Goalkeeper Accepted
- Former MSNBC Host Ed Schultz Has Died
- Sharapova insists shes still Grand Slam force
- Phuket boat accident: Vessels CAPSIZE in Thailand - 49 missing
- Bear recorded relaxing in hot tub, drinking margarita
- Sacha Baron Cohen trolls Trump on Fourth of July
- Pompeo to Visit Pyongyang to Discuss Denuclearization Timetable
- U.S. Border Patrol says it won't stop checking Canadian fishing vessels
- Wimbledon 2018: Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic through to round three
- Lopez breaks Federer grand-slam record at Wimbledon