"The disappointment of us being eliminated is just huge", said Germany coach Joachim Loew, who is now under pressure to quit despite signing a contract extension until 2022 last month.
It was the first time Germany has been knocked out in the first round since 1938, though the team was not allowed to enter the 1950 tournament. "The situation is very hard to put into words".
That is, unless winless South Korea somehow managed to avoid defeat by Germany and erase the possibility of a three-way tie for the group, which Mexico would have lost on goal difference.
"It's very, very hard to put it into words", said Germany defender Mats Hummels, a member of the team that won in Brazil four years ago.
Mexico were far from convincing as Sweden took control of Group F and qualified as group winners, which left Osorio frustrated with their showing.
Germany won last year's Confederations Cup in Russian Federation even though Loew opted to leave his World Cup-winning stars at home, boosting his reputation further. We have energetic legs on the pitch and we're sticking to the game plan. "Even when it was 0-1, I think we kept trying to turn it all around".
"However, I am very hurt".
The second half capitulation was a shock.
The result saw Germany eliminated from the tournament, and El Tri, as Mexico's team is called, progress to the next stage of the World Cup in extraordinary circumstances.
Mladen Krstajic's talented Serbia team will always wonder what might have been.
Celebrations spread to the historic center of the capital, where World Cup games are being shown on giant screens.
Switzerland joined Brazil in the second round as runners-up after they drew 2-2 with Costa Rica in Nizhny Novogrod.
A 93rd minute own goal by the unfortunate Yann Sommer from a Bryan Ruiz penalty gave the central American side a deserved 2-2 draw on a night of late drama. They became the fourth champions in five World Cups to fall at the first hurdle during their title defence.
Like France in 2002, Italy finished at the bottom of their group, with injuries and age playing its part.
The 30-year-old striker's goal in the 2-1 victory over South Korea on Saturday made him the first Mexican player to score 50 goals for his country (in 104 appearances).
- Korea eliminated from World Cup, despite 2-0 win over Germany
- Facebook's Keyword Snooze will help you avoid spoilers in News Feed
- Amazon brings voice control to Alexa's iOS app
- Teen bride's death sentence for killing rapist hubby overturned
- Listen to distraught DNC members learn that Justice Anthony Kennedy is retiring
- Telltale Games Rumored to be Ready to Abandon Old Game Engine
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez endorses primary challenger to Stephanie Murphy
- Full 'Strawberry Moon' Tonight -- But Don't Expect it to be Red
- Sheriff: New Zealand man shot trying to enter teen's home
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Reveals Name Of Baby Daughter