Double Eagle, a community of about 100 people, was in the path of the fire and all residents were being evacuated, said McGuire, who spent most of Sunday in the fire zone with Lake County Sheriff Brian Martin and Assemblywoman Cecilia Aguiar-Curry.
More than 230 firefighters were deployed to tackle the blaze, which had burned 7,700 acres, destroyed 12 houses and threatened around 600 other buildings, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said.
The fire that broke out Saturday evening has forced 3,000 residents from their homes and destroyed at least 22 buildings.
Residents rushed to the edge of the evacuation zone of the Pawnee Fire in Lake County Sunday, everyone hoping for news about their homes.
Fire officials say 10 more buildings have burned and that the largest wildfire in Northern California is still growing. The Creek Fire in Shasta County also led to evacuations, and has been 20% contained, AP reported. The Paynes Creek Fire burning in Tehnma County is over 2500 acres.
Paul Lowenthal, assistant fire marshal for the Santa Rosa Fire Department, told the San Francisco Chronicle the changes in wind direction caused the fire to spread in multiple directions.
An evacuation center was established at a local high school, along with a staging area for pets and other animals.
All are familiar with the threat of fire in Lake County, which has suffered from large and destructive wildfires annually for the past three years. No injuries have been reported.
A forestry scientist says it's hard to forecast how severe California's wildfires will be this year, but said the drought-dried vegetation throughout the state is a bad omen.
Evacuations were ordered for residents on Baker, Paskenta, Wilder and Stoll roads, with an evacuation center at the Red Bluff Community Center.
The Pawnee Fire was being driven by erratic winds, low humidity and high temperatures.
Terri Gonsalves, 55, evacuated her Lake County home around midnight Sunday, tossing four goats into her truck.
- Trump trash talks restaurant that booted Sanders
- Kwesi Arthur reacts to losing BET Award
- Astros' Alex Bregman shaves off his mustache mid-game
- 'Furious And Upset' Maradona Calls For Meeting With Argentina Players
- Supreme Court upholds Texas congressional map as legal
- Mike Pompeo says won't put timeline on North Korea denuclearization steps
- Bruce Bowen Rips Kawhi Leonard for Making 'Excuses' in Relationship with Spurs
- Harley-Davidson To Move More Production Oversees Amid US-EU Trade Tensions
- Federation Internationale de Football Association investigates Swiss players' pro-Kosovo World Cup celebrations
- Meghan Markle Taking Over One of The Queen's Tasks