"VP Chiwenga has slight bruises on his face but he is fine.
Emmerson Mnangagwa, the president of Zimbabwe, called for peace, love and unity in the small southern African state last night, hours after escaping an apparent assassination attempt during an election campaign rally in the southern city of Bulawayo.
Mnangagwa tweeted his concern for the victims saying he had already visited some of them in the hospital.
A video circulating on social media shows Mnangagwa, Chiwenga, Mohadi, Charamba and a few other VIPs had just got off the stage when the explosion happened.
Bulawayo has always been seen as a bastion of opposition to the ZANU-PF and it was Mnangagwa's first rally in the city.
He adds that "I can assure you these are my normal enemies".
Several security personnel were also hurt, the state-owned Herald newspaper said.
Mugabe had been Zimbabwe's only president since it gained independence in 1980, and elections that are expected to be held July 30 will be the first in which he is not a contender.
"People started running in all directions and then immediately the president's motorcade left at a very high speed", an AFP news agency correspondent at the scene reported.
It is not clear how severe the injuries to Second Vice-President Kembo Mohadi are.
After the injured senior government officials arrived at Mater Dei, the private hospital was sealed off by the presidential guard. "In the past 38 years political violence has been a permanent feature and an anticipated ritual. which we must expunge", Chamisa said.
The US Embassy in Harare condemned the attack.
Campaigning has been dominated by economic issues.
European Union deputy chief observer Mark Stevens says the European Union will have 140 observers by election day.
- #WorldCupWith360nobs: Referee Mark Geiger Slammed For Requesting Cristiano Ronaldo’s Jersey Before Halftime
- Ronaldo-Messi debate goes far deeper than goals scored
- Airbus Chief: Brexit 'No Deal' directly threatens Airbus' future in the UK
- Daimler warns Mercedes taking hit from China trade war
- Brazilian Soccer Player Neymar Drops Curse Bomb on Costa Rica Players
- Dramatic late goal saves Germany; Mexico and Belgium victorious
- EU Ministers Reach Deal Allowing Greece To Exit Bailout Program
- Dele Alli returns to training with England before the match with Panama
- Colbert Mocks Melania Trump's Jacket
- 'Game of Thrones' stars Kit Harington & Rose Leslie tie the knot