Brazilian source Globo Esporte also reported on Thursday evening that Liverpool have made a proposal to Alisson's agent to agree personal terms.
"They were interested in Alisson".
Zinedine Zidane was never in favour of such a move, repeatedly declaring that Keylor Navas would remain his starter and that he didn't want to sign a player in that position. I would love Alisson at Liverpool. There was talk of a bid going in for £57m but I'm told that's nonsense.
The 25-year-old shone between the sticks as Roma reached the Champions League semi-finals where they were knocked out by Jurgen Klopp's side who went on to lose the final to Madrid.
Speaking on ESPN, Nicol was asked whether or not he felt Liverpool should spend the bulk of their transfer budget on a goalkeeper and whether or not it would pay dividends.
"I have read with much amusement the quotes attributed to me about the transfer market", he said in a statement on the club's official Twitter account.
The Reds brought in Karius in a £4.7m switch from Bundesliga outfit Mainz 05 in 2016 to challenge Mignolet for the starting berth at the Anfield outfit.
- Wales coach Giggs: I'd be happy if Bale joined Man Utd
- Trump Signs Executive Order To Create ‘Space Force’
- White House piles pressure on China after Trump tariff threat
- Donald Trump Defends Tariffs: ‘We Can No Longer Be the Stupid Country’
- McDonald’s Announces Switch To Paper Straws To Combat Plastic Pollution
- Salah scores but Egypt suffer Russian Federation defeat
- Kane: England players had flies in our mouths
- U.S., S.Korea agree to suspend joint military exercise
- UK interior minister says was victim of moped theft, pledges police action
- Mob rule? John Travolta's Gotti film brands critics 'trolls'