A fearless grandmother in Georgia took on a bobcat with her bare hands in the driveway of her house, located in Hart County, 110 miles northeast of Atlanta.
"As soon as it took the first step, I was in trouble and I knew it", Phillips told the affiliate.
She grabbed the animal by the throat and throttled it until it went limp.
Phillips says she grew up in the country, where her father-in-law was once a trapper of bobcats.
Due to the encounter, Phillips suffered broken fingers on both her hands and cuts and bruises all over her body.
She is also undergoing treatment for rabies after the bobcat tested positive for the deadly virus.
Of note the unprovoked attack follows a rabid skunk and rabid fox being found in the same area.
Like this story? Share it with a friend! "There was no way I was going to die".
After strangling the cat and finding that it was lifeless, Phillips asked her daughter in law to ring up 911. With her granddaughter sleeping inside, Phillips never screamed.
Now, she must get a painful and expensive series of shots to keep her from contracting the disease.
"And I strangled it to death", said Phillips. The cat took two steps and was on top of me ...
The almost 40-pound animal jumped five feet and landed on her chest, and started attacking her face.
How the bobcat came to venture in Phillips front yard and whether there had been similar attacks or confrontations in the vicinity wasn't immediately clear.
Phillips' cousin has launched a fundraising effort to help her pay for the medical expenses which has already raised more than $26,000 as of Sunday night.
- Xbox One Owners Get Fallout 76 Beta Access First
- SUV in fatal Texas crash suspected of smuggling
- Race 3: Salman Khan's thriller burns five records in just three days
- Early Pixel 3 XL Case Leak Reaffirms the Single Rear Camera Presence
- Sign asks Dunkin Donuts customers to report employees speaking foreign languages
- Boy shot several times in head and covered in sheet begins breathing
- England post new ODI record total
- Antoine Griezmann decision will not affect Man United transfer plans
- Disney will reportedly increase its offer for Fox after Comcast bid
- Thomas Markle 'jealous' of Prince Charles after wedding