She said this in response to a question from a radio station about the so-called "Children of the Olympics" after the Moscow Games in 1980, a time when contraceptive methods were not widely popular and available in the country.
Fireworks light up the sky above the Kremlin in Moscow on June 13, 2018, ahead of the Russian Federation 2018 World Cup football tournament.
Russian women should refrain from sleeping with visiting World Cup fans to avoid becoming single mothers with mixed-race children, a lawmaker who heads the parliament's family committee has advised.
Russia's birth rate hit its lowest level in a decade previous year despite government efforts to encourage Russians to reverse the demographic trend.
"There probably will be girls who will meet [foreign fans] and have children", Pletnyova said. "It's the children who suffer and have suffered since the Soviet era", Pletnyova said.
The 2018 World Cup will kick-off today (Thursday) with the opening game between hosts Russian Federation and Saudi Arabia.
She also suggested that should a Russian woman get pregnant, it would be better if the father of the child was "of the same race". "I hope to God that there would be more love stories, more children, more mixed unions".
She added that, even if Russian women get married to their foreign partners, they could end up living overseas with their spouses and have no idea how to return home.
"I'd like people in our country to marry for love, no matter what nationality as long as they are Russian citizens who will build a family, live peacefully, have children and raise them". "Maybe they will get married, maybe they won't", Pletnyova said in an interview with Govorit Moskva radio on Wednesday, according to The Independent.
Federation Internationale de Football Association and the Russia 2018 organising committee did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Pletynova's remarks.
If all this sounds shocking to you, it really shouldn't be as Pletnyova is a lawmaker for the KPRF Communist Party that backs President Vladimir Putin's Kremlin on most key issues.
- Drake shares video for ‘I’m Upset’ and confirms ‘Scorpion’ release date
- Prosecutors reviewing sexual assault case against Sylvester Stallone
- Opposition Fury as Jeff Smith and Labour supports Brexit
- Ivanka Trump tweets 'fake' Chinese proverb that was actually American
- Sarah Sanders, Raj Shah planning to depart the White House
- Huawei Mate 20 to use a 6.9-inch screen
- Chemical weapons watchdog: Sarin, chlorine "very likely" used in 2017 Syria atatcks
- Chicago Picks Musk's Boring Co. for O'Hare Express Service
- Haim Were Paid 10 Times Less Than a Male Festival Act
- Rummenigge admits Man Utd target Boateng can leave Bayern Munich