A group of Republican lawmakers has nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to bring North Korea to the negotiating table - a stunning turnaround from a year ago, when Washington and Pyongyang found themselves locked in a bitter war of words and threats that some feared could lead to nuclear war.
The lawmakers told Norwegian wire service Norwegian News Agency that Trump "had taken a huge and important step" toward peace with North Korea and disarmament.
A group of US lawmakers also are backing Trump's nomination for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize. "This president is actually going to earn it". The Nobel Committee in Oslo typically receives hundreds of nominations each year, and past candidates have also included Russian President Vladimir Putin and Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
Two Norwegian lawmakers - Christian Tybring-Gjedde and Per-Willy Amundsen - are behind the nomination.
Asked afterward if he deserved the honor, Trump said: "Everyone thinks so, but I would never say it".
The nomination, reported by Norway's state broadcaster NRK, comes a little more than a month after a group of House Republicans sent a letter to the Norwegian Nobel Committee formally requesting that the president gets nominated for the highly coveted prize, the hill has reported. "Divisive and irresponsible from a presidential hopeful".
Last December, he wrote: "Trump is insulting Muslims on Twitter" and by contrast praised former President Barack Obama, who won the 2009 prize, as a statesman.
While the Norwegian Nobel committee is appointed by parliament, its decisions are independent. His headline: 'Trump is no Hitler'. So while Trump and Kim could be among the 330 nominees for 2018, an award linked to North Korea may be more likely in 2019.
- Your toddler is nearly definitely consuming too much sugar
- Rebel Wilson: Court slashes actress's record defamation payout
- British and Australian tourists die in Portugal 'fall'
- Chelsea Reportedly Leapfrog Tottenham in Pursuit of Championship Midfielder With £30m Bid
- Trump slams Robert De Niro as 'a very Low IQ individual'
- E3 2018: Rick and Morty's Justin Roiland Reveals Trover Saves the Universe
- North Korea summit in Singapore
- U.S. Says Talks with N.Korea Moving 'More Quickly Than Expected'
- Teen At Country Music Fest Has Head Rescued From Tailpipe
- George Lucas Sheds Some Light On Star Wars Sequels