New York's attorney general filed suit against President Donald Trump and his three eldest children on Thursday, alleging "persistently illegal conduct" at the president's personal charity.
The lawsuit also states that Trump used the foundation to cover legal fees, promote his properties and businesses. "I won't settle this case!".
In the suit, filed Thursday morning, attorney general Barbara Underwood asked a state judge to dissolve the Donald J. Trump Foundation, according to The Washington Post. The suit seeks $2.8 million in restitution and the dissolution of the foundation.
The New York AG found multiple instances of alleged self-dealing within the Trump Foundation, as Trump signed off on using charity money to pay off lawsuits against his businesses - and even to buy a $10,000 portrait of himself.
US President Donald Trump is joined by US First Lady Melania Trump (2nd R front), his daughter Ivanka Trump (2nd L front) and her husband Jared Kushner (L front) during the presidential inaugural parade on January 20, 2017 in Washington, DC.
Sitting in the second row (L-R) are Tiffany Trump, Lara Yunaska, and Eric Trump and Donald Trump, Jr.
Barbara Underwood said the charitable foundation had engaged in "unlawful political coordination" created to influence the 2016 election. "As our investigation reveals, the Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their goal or legality", Underwood said.
"This is politics at its worst", the foundation said in a statement.
The Trump Foundation has been in legal limbo since after the election, when the president wanted to dissolve it amid growing controversy about its practices.
Nevertheless, as NY attorney general Ms Underwood has significant investigatory and prosecutorial power - and if she starts flushing the bushes of some of Mr Trump's more questionable charitable activities, there's no telling what she might turn up. Ms Underwood may not be as outspokenly anti-Trump as her predecessor, but she appears to be equally - or more - aggressive where it counts, in courtroom.
- Frampton delighted by Fury addition, looks forward to Windsor Park headliner
- Rolls-Royce to Cut 4600 Jobs
- Dana White Meeting With Conor McGregor Next Week About UFC Future
- Target removes 'Baby Daddy' Father's Day cards from shelves
- Shah Rukh Khan & Salman Khan reunite for a song after decades
- Haim Were Paid 10 Times Less Than a Male Festival Act
- Resident Evil 2 Remake is Bringing Back Hunk and Tofu
- Kyle Walker ready to sacrifice right-back role
- Prosecutors reviewing sexual assault case against Sylvester Stallone
- Opposition Fury as Jeff Smith and Labour supports Brexit