Officials are holding a press conference Monday in Albany to provide details about the campaign dubbed Missing Types.
Red Cross regional spokesman Colin Williams said the need for blood donations is constant, especially in the summer when schools aren't in session, where a number of drives occur.
Canadian Blood Services is getting ready to support patients this summer and is inviting Canadians to participate in the global Missing Type campaign from June 11 to 17.
"Imagine life without the letters A, B and O, let alone scrabble!" said Mlambo.
Three-quarters (74 percent) of the public underestimate how frequently blood transfusions occur.* Most people perceive blood is needed in the USA every 15 minutes or even every hour or two hours when in fact, every two seconds, someone in this country needs blood.
"We're calling on everyone to do what they can to spread the word, host a blood drive or simply take an hour out of their day to donate", she said in the release.
The community is invited to participate by scheduling an appointment to donate blood with the American Red Cross at one of three Mercedes-Benz locations on June 14 and 15. It's not just blood: it's keeping families together. Healthy, volunteer blood donors are the only source of blood and platelets for those in need of transfusions.
The Irish Blood Transfusion Service has called on the public to donate blood this summer as these months can be some of the most challenging for the service.
Eligible donors can enter the drawing a second time when they register for a second donation during the blood drive period. But for the past four years, new Red Cross donors have declined by about 80,000 each year. It is a challenge blood collection organizations face across the country and around the world. When blood products aren't available in emergency situations or those undergoing lifesaving treatments, patients like Jacqueline Rogers do notice.
Yet, sadly, attendance at blood donor clinics can often decrease because of vacations.
The problem is that the blood supply doesn't always meet the demand.
To thank those who come to CBSI Donor Centers to give blood during the "100 Days of Summer", Community Blood Services will provide all presenting donors with a voucher that can be redeemed for a $5 Amazon or Subway gift card (June 4 - September 16 at Donor Centers; July 2 - August 12 on mobile blood drives).
- USA judge clears AT&T merger with Time Warner with no conditions
- Trump says Kim 'trusts me, and I trust him'
- Spain manager Julen Lopetegui sacked two days before opening match
- As Massive Storm Rages on Mars, Opportunity Rover Falls Silent
- NCAA passes reform which allows athletes to transfer without permission
- Michael Cohen searching for new lawyers in FBI investigation
- Sh10 million ring: Singer Ariana Grande celebrates 'engagement' to comedian
- Trump continues to praise himself for North Korea summit
- Kudlow's Full Recovery Seen After Heart Attack, White House Says
- World Cup Returning to US After North American Bid Beats Morocco