The city has a chance to host warm-up friendly matches and perhaps other events ahead of the worldwide soccer competition, which returns to the United States for the first time since 1994.
The United 2026 joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico has won the right to host the 2026 Fifa World Cup after Fifa's member associations met at the Fifa Congress in Moscow ahead of the kick-off of Russian Federation 2018.
In the closing days before the vote, Trump ― who won't be president during the 2026 World Cup, even if he wins re-election in 2020 ― promised that visiting players and fans would not face visa problems around the tournament.
The city was one of 23 included in the joint North American bid as a potential venue for the tournament, but only 16 cities will be selected as official hosts.
"FIFA could not provide a basic level of certainty on some major unknowns that put our city and taxpayers at risk". The tournament has been jointly hosted only once before, by Japan and Korea in 2002.
The Fédération Internationale de Football Association, or FIFA, announced North America beat out Morocco.
Montreal city Coun. Rosannie Filato, who is responsible for sports and recreation, said the city implemented an action plan in 2016 to host global sporting events and is investing in transit systems. The handsome game transcends borders and cultures. "Football today is the only victor".
"We know that we have the best stadium in the country", Iveson said.
Because it is co-hosting with two other countries, it is not yet clear if Canada will get the traditional automatic host-country qualification for the 2026 tournament. "It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the USA bid".
Before the United States hosted the World Cup in 1994, the sport was in a far different and inferior position.
Anxious that rivals might try to turn the vote into a referendum on Trump, who is deeply unpopular in many parts of the world, organizers of the North American bid took pains to dissociate their efforts from politics.
"We cast our vote for the United bid as we believe the independent technical assessment made its advantages very clear". There was no professional league, numerous national team players came from New Jersey and California, watching live professional games from Europe was almost impossible, and the World Cup ratings from 1990 in Italy were miniscule.
- British and Australian tourists die in Portugal 'fall'
- Former heavyweight champion Tyson Fury wins in boxing comeback
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for London area, 100 km/h winds expected
- 'Jogger Joe' due in court, but not for Lake Merritt incident
- President Trump Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize Again
- World Cup 2026 awarded to USA, Canada and Mexico
- England coach Eddie Jones dismisses confrontation with South Africa fans
- 9yo Fortnite addict wets herself to avoid turning game off
- News Theresa May narrowly dodges Brexit parliamentary crisis By NEOnline
- U.S. Says Talks with N.Korea Moving 'More Quickly Than Expected'