Monday, 22 October 2018
Latest news
Main » World Cup Returning to US After North American Bid Beats Morocco

World Cup Returning to US After North American Bid Beats Morocco

13 June 2018

"US President Donald Trump has disparaged Mexicans and wants to build a wall along the US-Mexico border".

That, along with the promise of major revenues from North American sponsors and television networks, was appealing to Federation Internationale de Football Association, an organization that has been beset by global corruption scandals, concerns over exorbitant costs related to previous tournaments, and allegations of widespread labor and human rights abuses around the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. "Categorically, nobody", Cordeiro said.

The North American countries won with 134 votes, or 67 percent, against an upstart campaign from Morocco, which garnered 65 votes, in the Wednesday morning vote in Moscow. "Congratulations - a great deal of hard work!"

"In 1994 in the United States, you would go out onto the street and nobody knew who Diego Maradona was", he said. Mexico has played in every World Cup since 1990.

Bid leaders say 5.8m tickets sold could generate more than $2bn, while hospitality takings could be 150 per cent higher than the baseline figure anticipated for Russian Federation this summer.

Morocco, which has now failed in five bids to host the FIFA World Cup, said their tournament would make $5 billion.

The North American bid was considered superior because it pledged to deliver $11 billion of profit on over $14 billion in revenue and because 17 of the 23 potential stadiums the Cup will need are already capable of hosting.

It marks the first time the World Cup will be held in more than one country since 2002, when South Korea and Japan shared hosting duties. As part of the joint bid, Trump pledged that those traveling to the United States for the tournament would not be subject to stringent visa restrictions. The intercontinental playoff will be held somewhere in the United States, Canada or Mexico, perhaps in November 2025.

The North American bid had been deeply concerned by Trump's threat during the bidding process that nations that did not support it should not expect United States support on other issues. The president has regularly assailed world leaders, including allies like Germany's Angela Merkel and France's Emmanuel Macron, for "ripping" America off over trade. So the rationality of this decision has to be acknowledged, the congress of national FAs who now vote in the new system chose the bid assessed as far superior in the technical inspections.

Each of the three host nations is set to stage a game on the opening day of the tournament.

North American soccer fans have something to look forward to beyond Thursday's kickoff of the World Cup in Russian Federation. Before the vote, some had suggested that a "Trump effect" was harming the United States' chances, saying the president's quarrels internationally were putting off some countries.

"This shouldn't be a geopolitical discussion or decision", U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro said this week, according to the Los Angeles Times.

"We believe this event will become a lightning rod".

The 2026 World Cup will have 48 teams playing a total of 80 games - 60 are planned in the US and 10 each in Canada and Mexico. "And our history of hosting extremely successful worldwide soccer games and our enthusiastic fan base gives us confidence that - if selected - Denver and the region would be excited to see the World Cup take place at the Denver Broncos' stadium".

World Cup Returning to US After North American Bid Beats Morocco