The vase broke auction records for any Chinese porcelain sold at auction in France, where the bidding reached 20 times the estimated guide price, which had been set between €500,000 and €700,000.
The vase, which is reportedly in excellent condition, "is the only known example in the world bearing such detail", he said.
The vase, which was made for an emperor of the Qing dynasty, has different animals in the landscape painted on it and is embroidered with gold around the neck.
Sotheby's Asian arts expert Olivier Valmier said the seller had delivered the precious vase by hand in a shoebox wrapped in newspaper.
The vase, which was in ideal condition, "is the only known example in the world bearing such detail", he added.
An 18th Century Chinese vase, left for decades in a shoebox in France, has sold for 16.2m euros (£14.2m).
The exquisite vase included images of deer and cranes and was accidentally found, among with Chinoiserie decorations, in the attic of a French house earlier this year.
"We didn't like the vase too much, and my grandparents didn't like it either", said the owner of the vase.
A centuries-old vase that was once in storage at a USA museum in Oklahoma sold at auction for NZ$24.3 million in Hong Kong earlier in the month. It was still in the shoe box when it was presented to experts for authentification.
A bowl from this period sold for $30m (£22.5m) at a Sotheby's auction last April - another example of the colossal prices that rare porcelain from this dynasty can fetch. The collector, who has has not been named, also did the bidding himself - a rarity at this level of auction.
The Qianlong Emperor was the sixth emperor of the Manchu-led Qing dynasty and ruled China from 1736 to 1796.
Famille Rose - of "yangcai" - porcelains of the period are rarely sold publicly with most examples now housed in the National Palace Museum in Taipei and other museums around the world.
- Trump and Kim meet after months of threats and insults
- Olympian Bode Miller's daughter passes away
- Apple Seeds iOS 11.4.1 Developer Beta 2
- Climate change killing off Africa’s iconic baobab tree
- Brexit: House of Lords EU Withdrawal Bill amendment voted down by MPs
- Provenance of Ivanka's 'proverb' baffles Chinese internet users
- Jogger throws homeless man's clothes into Lake Merritt
- 'Lindsey Graham is a danger to the country,' Rand Paul says
- Nintendo Announces ‘Fire Emblem: Three Houses’
- Reaction - Was Norwich right to sell Josh Murphy to Cardiff City?