Rui Pereira da Terra, the head of the rescue service in Cascais port near Lisbon, told the news agency Lusa that officials suspected the man and woman had been taking a selfie on a wall above the beach when they fell.
A couple said to be from Australia and the United Kingdom were presumably taking a picture on a 30-meter-high wall overlooking a picturesque beach when they allegedly lost their balance and fell off a cliff in Portugal.
"We found a mobile phone [at the bottom of] on the sea wall which indicated they might have been taking a selfie when the phone fell - they leaned over to get it and fell", he said.
The pair's bodies were found on Praia dos Pescadores beach, also known as the Fishermans Beach, by cleaners on Tuesday morning local time.
One Portuguese newspaper reported that fishermen discovered the couple's bodies at about 6.30am.
Ericeria is a fishing and surfing town on Portugal's western Atlantic Ocean coast, 50km north-west of capital Lisbon.
Police say they believe the couple lost their balance and fell off the wall at some time between 1am and 6am on Tuesday.
The pair died after falling from the cliff top at Pescadores Beach in Ericeira, Portugal.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: "We are in touch with local authorities following the death of a British woman in Portugal and are providing support to her family".
"The Department has been in contact with the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office regarding the other person who died in the incident", a DFAT spokesperson told the ABC.
- Sane Trilogy ‘Future Tense’ DLC Trailer
- After 'difficult' G7 summit, May warns against unilateral action on trade
- Man dies after gang attack in his home
- Dixons Carphone admits huge data breach
- Trump accuses OPEC of raising oil prices
- President Trump Is Still Very Angry With Canada's PM Justin Trudeau
- Trump vents anger on North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies, European Union and Canada's Trudeau
- Crawford Expected To Outlast Horn
- Guess Founder Paul Marciano To Resign After Investigation Into Improper Conduct
- CD Projekt Red Calls Cyberpunk 2077 a 'First-Person RPG' - Cyberpunk 2077