"As SpaceX's launch cadence and manifest for missions from Florida continues to grow, we are seeking to expand our capabilities and streamline operations to launch, land and re-fly our Falcon family of rockets", SpaceX representative told FT.
SpaceX is hoping to initiate about 30 orbital launches by 2018, a record for any country on the number of missions and that too by a single company alone.
SpaceX and NASA are getting serious.
The report said the new rocket manufacturing facility would be built on a 19-acre parcel on the mostly artificial island that's part of the port and the facility would provide employment to as many as 700 people.
The environmental review document says the goal of the expansion is to help support SpaceX's mission in developing a "local, efficient, and reusable launch vehicle program" with Falcon Heavy, right now the world's most powerful rocket.
Commenting on the planned components of the Kennedy Space Center expansion proposal, Inverse noted that the control center tower could also be used to help SpaceX "assert [its] dominance" as the leading private company working closely with NASA on various projects., and that the "rocket garden" could "give dramatic testimony" to the company's strong presence in the field of space exploration. The tower may stretch 300 feet high, according to the plans. It will also install 133,000 sq foot hangar to stock all its booster rockets and other rocket parts. The Block 5 boosters of the 2 Falcon Heavy, just like all the Block 5 renditions of the Falcon, is expected to carry out many launches before it retires. SpaceX's involvement, it says, will "support the NASA goal of encouraging activities by the private sector to strengthen and expand USA space transportation infrastructure".
The report also states that there will be a rocket garden in the SpaceX campus where historic SpaceX display pieces will be showcased to the public. The California facility will build Big Falcon Rockets, which are created to be completely reusable and send 100 people and 150 tons of cargo to Mars.
For a more complete look at what the plans entail, read Florida Today's story.
- Michael Cohen searching for new lawyers in FBI investigation
- Sh10 million ring: Singer Ariana Grande celebrates 'engagement' to comedian
- Intel announces its first discrete GPU will arrive in 2020
- Merkel Blasts Trump for 'Withdrawal by Tweet' From G7 Statement
- "Greatest achievement" of summit was trust-building between Kim, Trump: Seoul
- Signs of life on Mars ?
- Should California Really Be 3 States? Voters Will Decide In November
- American toddlers consume way too much added sugar, says study
- Dem lawmakers seek criminal corruption probe of EPA's Pruitt
- Tether Directly Used to Manipulate Bitcoin Price, Finds Study