In 2012 and 2014, Draper also proposed splitting the state into six separate states, yet his efforts failed after numerous signatures his campaign collected were invalidated by election officials. According to the state's constitution, the ballot initiative needs 365,880 signatures in order to qualify for the November ballot.
"Splitting California into three new states will triple the amount of special interests, lobbyists, politicians and bureaucracy".
And in the far north region of California, some residents have pushed to form a new state with parts of southern OR, and wouldn't be keen on being lumped together with liberal San Francisco as envisioned by Draper's map.
Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Tulare counties. In the unlikely event the measure is approved, the change would be the first division of an existing USA state since the creation of West Virginia in 1863. Californians voted for it to appear on the ballot in November's general election.
It would be the first division of an existing US state since the creation of West Virginia in 1863. With its 55 electors in the Electoral College, California has always been a stronghold for the Democratic Party.
The plan would create three differently sized regions, but all would have roughly the same population.
A California split is a long shot, to say the least.
"CAL 3" has no connection to efforts to have California secede from the United States.
Last year, an effort dubbed Calexit sought to bring the question of whether California should secede from the U.S. to this year's ballot.
But even if people vote for the plan, it still requires Congressional approval.
- Liverpool FC set to rival Chelsea FC for 29-year-old goalkeeper
- Intel announces its first discrete GPU will arrive in 2020
- Merkel Blasts Trump for 'Withdrawal by Tweet' From G7 Statement
- Kate Middleton Supports Prince William's Charity Polo Match
- Retail inflation accelerates to four-month high in May
- How to get your free Doritos Locos Taco
- Dumbo Soars in Teaser Trailer For Tim Burton's Live-Action Remake
- IHOP is now IHOB
- American toddlers consume way too much added sugar, says study
- Your internet use could change as 'net neutrality' ends | AP business