Martinelli, 66, was charged with misappropriation of public funds, and in the pardon of the prisoners in exchange for bribes.
According to press reports, the former governor, who was imprisoned for nearly a year in a federal prison in the U.S. state of Florida, departed on a Jet Logistics flight from the Opa-Locka airport in Miami-Dade County. He claims the charges are false claims from political enemies.
These targets included Martinelli's political allies and opponents, their family members, his business rivals, Panamanian judges, journalists, union activists, United States diplomats, and others.
In a brief statement released Sunday night, the Panamanian Foreign Ministry said that Martinelli remains in the custody of the government of the United States, until he is delivered to Panamanian authorities.
Attorneys Marcos Daniel Jimenez of Coral Gables, David Adrian Howard of Miami, Ann Marie St. Peter-Griffith of Kasowitz Benson Torres, and John Richard Byrne and Jordi CarloSantiago Martinez-Cid of Leon Cosgrove represented Martinelli Berrocal. They did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and their court filings were not publicly available at press time.
With the extradition now complete, Martinelli's case will now move forward in the Panamanian legal system.
Washington, Jun 11 (Prensa Latina) The United States extradited former President of Panama Ricardo Martinelli to the Central American country, where he will face a judicial process for espionage during his term (2009-2014). "Our Office is committed to upholding the rule of law and ensuring that justice is appropriately carried out for all parties". On May 15 he asked the State Department to deny the extradition request, saying that he would be tortured in Panama.
- Love Island's Niall Aslam QUITS the show
- Trump declares North Korea nuclear threat over, says Americans can 'sleep well'
- Florida baserunner brilliantly distracted pitcher as teammate stole home
- Dumbo Soars in Teaser Trailer For Tim Burton's Live-Action Remake
- Clippers want to trade up in draft, may be eyeing Luka Doncic
- How to get your free Doritos Locos Taco
- E3 2018: VR Title Transference Gets New Trailer and Release Window
- Liverpool FC set to rival Chelsea FC for 29-year-old goalkeeper
- Merkel Blasts Trump for 'Withdrawal by Tweet' From G7 Statement
- Robert De Niro drops F-Bomb on Trump