Monday, 19 August 2019
Latest news
Main » Mom warns parents of tick dangers after daughter left paralyzed

Mom warns parents of tick dangers after daughter left paralyzed

13 June 2018

Kailyn had a CT scan and bloodwork at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, where doctors diagnosed her with tick paralysis, The Washington Post reported. "PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks", she posted.

After a female tick feeds for five to seven days, the toxin builds up in a person's system.

"I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk", writes Griffin. The condition can become life-threatening if the tick is not removed quickly, with the potential for paralysis to affect respiratory muscles. Tick paralysis occurs mostly in the spring and early summer, and is reported more commonly in children, probably due to their smaller body mass. Symptoms tend to appear four to seven days after a tick bite and go away within 24 hours of removing the tick, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Women and children are most at risk. Paralysis sets in slowly, starting in the legs and spreading into upper body, stopping your breathing if left unchecked. It can manifest as fatigue, numbness and an increasing inability to move, according to the foundation.

In Canada, tick paralysis is most commonly caused by the Rocky Mountain wood tick, with most cases in south-central B.C., he said. Showering when you get home can wash away ticks that haven't attached yet and putting your clothes in a hot dryer will help to kill any ticks that may be caught in them.

Look who is WALKING out of the hospital! We are being admitted to the hospital for observation and we're hoping her balance gets straightened out!

The La Grande, Oregon, woman posted a video on Facebook, hoping family members or friends could help figure out what was causing the girl's sudden unusual ailment.

A tick had embedded itself on her daughter's scalp.

In Mississippi last week, Kailyn Griffin had a similarly quick recovery.

She posted images to Facebook last week, showing Kailyn in her hospital bed with a splint and an IV connected to her arm. Griffin wrote, including a raised hands emoji.

Mom warns parents of tick dangers after daughter left paralyzed