Lyon called off negotiations for the sale of Fekir after Liverpool tried to renegotiate the terms of the transfer after issues arose during the course of the forward's medical on Saturday.
Liverpool may well decide to go after a different player and there are plenty who could take their fancy.
Lyon confirmed they had pulled out of talks with Liverpool in a statement reading: "Olympique Lyonnais informs that negotiations with Liverpool and Nabil Fekir for the transfer of the Lyon captain have not been successful and Lyon have chose to bring an end to these negotiations".
Though Klopp will be able to count on midfield reinforcements in the form of former Leipzig no. 8 Naby Keita and Fabinho come the new season, work still needs to be done.
According to the Mirror, Liverpool's interest is genuine and they will step up their pursuit of the Switzerland global when he returns home from the World Cup.
Last week, talk began of Liverpool's interest in wantaway Stoke City man Xherdan Shaqiri, with a £12m release clause said to exist in his contract that can be activated if the club was relegated.
The tournament will represent a decent opportunity to scout new players, although the concern is that anyone who shines will suddenly become much more expensive.
- John Cena To Star In Movie With Jackie Chan
- Belmont Stakes 2018 victor , payouts: Win, place, show, trifecta and superfecta results
- Reaction - Was Norwich right to sell Josh Murphy to Cardiff City?
- Attorney identifies children killed in Orlando hostage situation
- K.K.R. Said to Be Near Deal to Acquire Envision Healthcare
- Brazil set to put dour World Cup performances behind them
- The first look at the new season of House of Cards
- Federation Internationale de Football Association delays talks on possible 48-team Qatar World Cup
- Roseanne Barr to George Soros: Sorry for Calling Him a Nazi
- Thunder opens Summer League play on July 6