"Raja is one of the most experienced, innovative and respected graphics and system architecture visionaries in the industry and the latest example of top technical talent to join Intel", said Dr. Murthy Renduchintala, Intel's chief engineering officer and group president of the Client and Internet of Things Businesses and System Architecture.
Intel has been telegraphing its intentions for some time.
Intel has confirmed that it will start selling discrete graphics cards in 2020, which will be aimed at various markets including gaming, AI and the data centre.
Intel took to its Twitter to tease that its "first discrete GPU coming in 2020" with a picture of Raja Koduri, who left Radeon Technologies Group past year and joined Intel on their adventures into the GPU world.
"As we've previously stated, our intent is to expand our leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments". The company's existing efforts have been focused on offering graphics through Intel's CPU chips, but the performance has been limited. Rival Nvidia has been watching its business soar on the company's GPUs being sold to more data centers.
Shrout notes that Intel's 2020 plans are ambitious given the three-year development cycle for complex design and the need to build it from scratch. As further confirmation of this timeline and ambition, Intel's official Twitter news channel shared the Tweet you can see below.
Though 2020 is a long way off, the above news should put AMD and Nvidia on notice.
KitGuru Says: We still know very little about Intel's first discrete GPU architecture and what it will be capable of.
It's been decades since AMD and Intel last collaborated, but pressure from Nvidia has the two chip giants teaming up once again.
The processing power Nvidia's GPUs are capable of has made them a useful tool for those dealing in ether, but the company's CEO would prefer the GPUs be kept for use in areas such as gaming or high-performance computing.
- How to get your free Doritos Locos Taco
- Wetherspoon replaces French champagne with English wine in run-up to Brexit
- Trump's Freeze of Korea Joint Exercises Catches Allies by Surprise
- Microsoft Announces Office 2019 Commercial Preview for Mac Users
- "Greatest achievement" of summit was trust-building between Kim, Trump: Seoul
- Robert De Niro drops F-Bomb on Trump
- North America will host the World Cup in 2026
- Nebraska woman and her boyfriend charged with Sydney Loofe's murder
- John Schneider released from jail in alimony dispute
- Your internet use could change as 'net neutrality' ends | AP business