The two children involved are now being questioned by the police, who told them that Mrs Cheeks claimed there was not enough space in the truck for them to sit safely.
The victims were 7 and 8 years old. Temperatures reached about 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius).
A video taken by a passerby appears to show a young girl hopping out of a kennel from the trunk of the vehicle after a woman opens the metal cage door. Neighbors are shocked. They say Leimome Cheeks is a very nice woman and they can't believe she did something like this. "If she did that, then that's out of character for her", neighbor Eugene Richmond told WREG.
The bystander, who asked to remain anonymous, sent the video to Memphis Police. "For them to be in the hot vehicle like that in cages is sad", neighbor Nikita Blake told WREG. Officers saw that the children were no longer inside the kennels but were seated in the back seat, the affidavit said.
Police in Tennessee say a woman, identified as Leimome Cheeks, was charged after mobile phone video emerged of the incident.
The 62-year-old was being held Sunday at Shelby County Jail.
"I think she needs some help".
"Despicable", Sonrisa Schweddy wrote on Memphis Police Department's Facebook announcement of Cheek's arrest.
- 'Lindsey Graham is a danger to the country,' Rand Paul says
- Kim Jong, Trump Commit To Restart Repatriating Remains From North Korea
- Awaiting sentencing, Fyre Festival promoter arrested again
- Steam is finally getting integrated voice chat
- Brexit: House of Lords EU Withdrawal Bill amendment voted down by MPs
- Roseanne Barr to George Soros: Sorry for Calling Him a Nazi
- Jogger throws homeless man's clothes into Lake Merritt
- Nintendo Announces ‘Fire Emblem: Three Houses’
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles signs long-term Arsenal contract extension
- Doom Eternal announced, and it's bringing double the demons to Earth