"The sanctions will come off when we are sure that the nukes are no longer a factor", Trump said in Singapore after his summit with Kim.
A coroner disputed claims by Warmbier's parents that his teeth were damaged, and said her office's post-mortem exam indicated he had been well tended to in the year since something unknown starved his brain of oxygen.
'Otto did not die in vain.
"His parents are good friends of mine". I think without Otto, this would not have happened. "Something happened from that day, was a awful thing".
"Something happened from that day - it was a awful thing, it was brutal, but a lot of people started to focus on what was going on, including North Korea".
Warmbier's mother Cindy told a United Nations symposium on the human rights situation in North Korea last month: 'I can't let Otto die in vain. He had a lot to do with us being here today, ' Trump added.
Trump, who has in the past condemned North Korea as one of the world's most brutal regimes, said he had discussed human rights with Kim.
The parents, Fred and Cindy Warmbier, are suing North Korea alleging that the country violated worldwide law by killing their son.
In May 2015, South Korea's spy agency told lawmakers that Kim had ordered his defense chief executed with an anti-aircraft gun for complaining about the young ruler, talking back to him, and sleeping during a meeting over which he was presiding.
He was returned to the U.S.in a coma a year ago and died shortly after arriving in his hometown of Cincinnati.
Warmbier was detained on January 2, 2016, as his tour group was departing, and accused of hostile acts against the country as an agent of the USA government - specifically, stealing a political poster from his hotel as a "trophy".
Panetta pointed to previous US administrations that tried to negotiate with Pyongyang, but failed to make the deals stick.
"Something happened from that day", Trump said at the press conference Tuesday.
- Raptors assistant Nurse promoted to head coach
- XSEED Games Announces E3 2018 Lineup; Freedom Planet Officially Announced for Switch
- Coinbase to add support for Ethereum Classic
- U.S. upsets China with new de facto embassy in Taiwan
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Soars to $2 Billion at Worldwide Box Office
- Marvel's Luke Cage season 2 trailer teases a mean queen
- E3 2018: The Last of Us Part II Gets Gameplay Reveal
- Warriors' Durant hints at retirement -- when he's 35
- Elon Musk announces Tesla to cut 9 percent of jobs
- Armed man 'with a bomb' holds three inside a shop