Wednesday, 17 October 2018
Latest news
Main » Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

12 June 2018

"She woke up to get ready to go to daycare and as soon as her feet hit the floor, she fell", Ms Griffin told MS News.

As tick paralysis usually disappears in 24 hours, Griffin posted later that Kailyn was back to her normal self.

A mother in MS is warning parents after her 5-year-old daughter's close call after a tick bite.

"She would try to stand and walk but would continue to fall so I thought her legs were just asleep". The reason? A tick bite.

Jessica Griffin posted to Facebook on Wednesday saying that her daughter Kailyn woke up that morning unable to walk and struggling to speak.

She removed the tick and rushed her daughter to hospital. Following a CT scan and blood tests, doctors diagnosed Kailyn with tick paralysis. Later that evening, Kailin was able to walk out of the hospital.

Tick paralysis is most commonly caused by the American dog tick and the Rocky Mountain wood tick, according to Columbia University's Lyme and Tick-Borne Diseases Research Center. These symptoms can include an unsteady gait, muscle weakness and eventually, breathing difficulties, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Over several days, this can progress to paralysis that starts in the legs and moves upward, said Lindsay. When she brushed Kailyn's hair, she saw it: a tick had latched on to the girl's scalp.

Women and children are most at risk.

Tick paralysis is caused by a neurotoxin produced in the parasite's salivary gland.

You should also check your children for any ticks, something that Griffin urges all parents to do.

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted, in part.

Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed