Full Frontal host Samantha Bee has felt the full force of a conservative backlash after using a vulgar epithet to describe Ivanka Trump, but the comedian still has her defenders and got some welcome support from former boss Jon Stewart, a veteran of Republican animus, at Sunday's Clusterfest comedy festival in San Francisco.
Stewart defended Bee, his longest running correspondent when he hosted The Daily Show, following tweets from President Donald Trump saying that her "low ratings show" should be cancelled.
The controversy came amid the fallout from ABC's cancellation of "Roseanne" after the show's star, Roseanne Barr, wrote a racist tweet about former Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett.
Stewart said the controversy surrounding Bee represented a "game" and "strategy" from right-wing politicians at large.
"Why aren't they firing no talent Samantha Bee for the terrible language used on her low ratings show?" he tweeted Friday morning. Stewart said Bee should not have apologized and said the GOP was just playing a game where they call themselves the real victims.
"You know, Ivanka, that's a lovely photo of you and your child, but let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad's immigration practices you feckless c*nt", Bee said. Bee used the phrase in question during a segment urging the president's daughter to "do something" about her father's immigration policy that had resulted in the government separating some children living in the country illegally from their parents. "There isn't. And so, create your own moral code to live by, but don't be fooled into trying to make concessions that you think will mollify them". Sarah Huckabee Sanders called Bee's comments " vile and vicious" and Full Frontal "not fit for broadcast". "That is probably-[Donald Trump] says that instead of 'Please, ' I'm guessing".
- Theresa May's day of Brexit reckoning is coming, sooner or later
- Anthem Gets New Gameplay Trailer At EA Play Conference
- The most exciting games from Square Enix's E3 showcase
- Giant Martian Dust Storm Threatens Opportunity Rover
- Amazon expands Whole Foods discounts to North Carolina and 9 other states
- Starbucks outlets will close this afternoon
- Donald Trump deepens G-7 divide with call to readmit Russian Federation
- Taylor Swift Pays Tribute To Manchester Victims
- Star Fox is back in 'Starlink: Battle for Atlas'
- Ariana Grande Tweets About Her Happiness After Engagement Reveal!