The body of 47-year-old Shizuka Matsuki was found in a lake in Davie, Florida, officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said late Friday. A witness said they had seen her with her dogs earlier, but later that morning the dogs were barking near the water and she was gone.
Fatal attacks on humans remain rare, however.
Search teams located the body of Ms. Matsuki June 8 at the Silver Lakes Rotary Nature Park lake in Davie.
Local residents had received an email from the Isla de Sol Homeowners Association in Plantation that an alligator had been trapped at someone's front door, according to the Sun Sentinel. Broward County Animal Control and Adoption Agency said that they had taken custody of the dogs. She noticed one of the dogs had a "fresh" gash on the side.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Saturday it will be "conducting a thorough investigation into this incident".
It's unclear if Matsuki ever received or read that message, or if it had encouraged her to put her dogs in the vehicle and take them for a walk at a spot farther from home.
Local residents also told the newspaper that they had complained about alligators in the park, with some even explaining that they had lost pets that wandered too close to the lake.
One resident saw a woman walking her dogs near the park, and then later, three dogs were found wandering alone, one of which was injured. Payne says the important thing is to remember is that alligators are wild animals, and they should be treated as such. At least 24 of those incidents resulted in fatalities, according to the report. As many will recall, 2-year-old Lane Graves was killed after an alligator attack in Florida.
- Paris street on lockdown amid reports of armed man holding people hostage
- White House Trade Official Backs Away From His Insult to Trudeau
- Watch The E3 2018 Nintendo Direct Here
- Ashton Agar says Australia can exploit England uncertainty following defeat to Scotland
- E3 2018: The Last of Us Part II Gets Gameplay Reveal
- Uber driver accused of kicking lesbian couple out of vehicle over kiss
- Senators Move To Reverse Trump's Deal Lifting Sanctions On China's ZTE
- Athens, Skopje Reach Agreement on Constitutional Name of Macedonia
- Real Madrid Name Spain Coach Lopetegui As Zidane Successor
- Raptors assistant Nurse promoted to head coach