"We've pretty much thrown everything at this event" since a series of lava fissures began emerging from cracks in neighborhood last month, Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency Administrator Talmadge Magno said Monday.
The eruption has spewed out enough lava to fill 45,400 Olympic-sized pools since it started, the US Geological Survey said. Some areas have been covered up to 20 feet deep. The eruption temperature of Kīlauea lava is a scalding 2,140 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the USGS.
Scientists say they are not sure when the eruptions will end.
The melting point of steel is about 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit.
At Kilauea's summit, there continue to be explosions that shoot plumes of ash into the sky.
An eruption at Kilauea summit jolted the area Wednesday with the force of a 5.4 magnitude natural disaster and hurled an ash plume that reached 10,000 feet above sea level. Gas emissions from the vent have doubled.
U.S. Geological Survey and Hawaii County Civil Defense reports said lava overflowed the channel for several hours near the intersection of Highway 132 and Pohoiki Road, though nearly none of the overspill extended beyond hardened lava previously laid down since the eruption in Puna's lower East Rift Zone began May 3 in the middle of the residential subdivision.
The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory warned residents to avoid the ocean entry area, as it continued to produce large plumes of lava.
Lava covers a road on the outskirts of Pahoa during ongoing eruptions of the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii, U.S., June 9, 2018.
- Arron Banks tells MPs: I have no business interests in Russian Federation
- Paris street on lockdown amid reports of armed man holding people hostage
- Officer rescues toddler running on side of IL highway
- Proud of changes I'm seeing in this industry: George Clooney
- Trudeau's criticism will cost Canada 'a lot of money'
- Real Madrid announce Spain coach Lopetegui as Zidane replacement
- XSEED Games Announces E3 2018 Lineup; Freedom Planet Officially Announced for Switch
- New Game+ mode is coming to God of War
- Assad denies Russia makes decisions for him
- Leo Santa Cruz beats Abner Mares to retain WBA featherweight title