Taking to Twitter, Musk stated that the recently-announced "SpaceX option package" for the Roadster will include roughly 10 small rocket thrusters around the vehicle's exterior. However, as Hanley notes, these capabilities have yet to be demonstrated.
As for the flying bit, while the Roadster may be capable of small jumps, Musk has previously spoken against the idea of true flying cars, saying they'd be too noisy and risky. Indeed, he wants to make the Roadster better than the best auto ever made, which to date is the McLaren F1, which Musk himself bought when he first made a lot of money. Already these are ambitious specs, and whether or not they factored in "rocket thrusters", who knows.
The spaceships made by Musk-run SpaceX use a related thruster design that's powered by nitrogen stored in composite canisters for maneuvering, and the lightweight containers could be adopted for automotive use with atmospheric air. This is bound to keep fans guessing as they wait for the delivery of their pre-ordered Model 3, which has still not reached production levels of the promised 5,000 a week.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk claims a new Tesla software update is coming in August that will bring more autonomy to Autopilot. Following tweets added, "Not saying the next gen Roadster special upgrade package *will* definitely enable it to fly short hops, but maybe.", and, "Certainly possible". To date, Autopilot resources have rightly focused entirely on safety.
Shortly thereafter, Musk noted that the "next gen Roadster will be absolutely out of this world" and that "for those who love to drive, there is no finer vehicle in history and we don't think there will be another".
- IHOP reveals what "B" stands for in IHOb name change
- Supreme Court rules that states can clean up their voting rolls
- Focus on winning over Scots to independence from UK, Sturgeon tells SNP
- Hurricane Bud: Path, models, latest forecast of Category 3 hurricane today
- Apple Updates App Store Guidelines, Tightens Rules for Crypto-Related Apps
- Cuphead In The Delicious Last Course Expansion Announced
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Louder than Words
- E3 2018: Babylon's Fall Announced, Developed by PlatinumGames
- Kim Jong Un Takes Selfie During Night Out in Singapore
- Takfiri terrorists attack besieged Shia towns in Syria's Idlib: Monitor