Sampdoria sporting director Carlo Osti told Rai Sport: "Torreira has a €25m release clause, everyone knows that".
Torreira joined Sampdoria from Pescara in 2015 and has made 74 appearances in all competitions.
Arsenal have also reached an agreement with Borussia Dortmund to sign their Greek centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos, with the transfer due to be announced next month.
However, according to Sky Italia, Arsenal are ready to activate the clause in Torreira's contract.
GETTY Arsenal may be forced to spread out payments for Lucas Torreira
The Serie A outfit have secured the signature of Lokomotiv Zagreb's midfielder Lovro Majer, meaning Torreira is now free to leave this summer.
Emery has a lot of work to do this summer, if he is to guide the Gunners back into contention for the Champions League places, and the signing of the 22-year-old Uruguay worldwide would be a great way to start.
We'll have to wait and see how talks progress but we desperately need to sign a defensive midfielder this summer and Torreira would be a solid addition to the squad.
Napoli have also been strongly linked with Torreira but it looks like Arsenal are now in pole position as TeamTalk are citing a report from SampNews24 that claims we've agreed to meet his £22m release clause.
- Carbery gets the nod at 10 to face Australia
- Theresa May appeals for Tory unity ahead of Brexit Bill vote
- Missing US air force officer found in California after 35 years
- Josh Murphy to have medical at Cardiff ahead of move from Norwich
- Rage 2 introduced with Andrew WK performance, crowd looks really mad
- Xiaomi loses a billion
- Anthony Bourdain's daughter performs at concert after his death
- At least 12 dead, 31 wounded in Kabul govt building attack
- Final Fantasy XIV x Monster Hunter
- Neal Boyd, one-time 'America's Got Talent' winner, dead at 42