The all-rounder suffered the injury during a practice session ahead of the second Test against Pakistan, forcing him to sit out the match at Headingley. Woakes was left out of the eleven in the opening Test at the Lord's Cricket Stadium. In the first innings, he returned with figures of 11-1-55-3.
The English all-rounder became the second victim after Ben Stokes' exclusion from the Scotland match because of a hamstring strain. Stokes will also be reassessed later in the week in order to ascertain when he may be fit to return.
Credit Getty Images
However, doubts remain over Woakes participation in the upcoming ODI series against Australia.
Dawid Malan was added to the squad to face Scotland, while Sam Billings joins the party to take on Australia. The gravity of the issue will now be assessed following which a decision is expected to be made.
But Alastair Cook is available for Essex's Championship game against Lancashire and Moeen Ali will play for Worcestershire's final Royal London game before joining up with England's limited-overs squad.
- Quebec ticket takes Lotto Max's $60 million jackpot
- Smith-Pelly to skip White House visit if Caps win Cup
- Peter Navarro says 'there's a special place in hell' for Justin Trudeau
- 3 dead in south of Saudi Arabia from missile attack - state media
- Everton eye £35m bid for Manchester United's Victor Lindelof
- West Ham striker Marko Arnautovic refuses to shut down Man Utd talk
- Netflix's "Stranger Things" Lands Book Deal Debuting This Fall
- Fire breaks out at ballot warehouse in Baghdad
- Virginia Tech QB Jackson has academic issue
- Mustang Bullitt pushes UK Mustang prices close to £50k