Well, that is happening in real life now, and it has seen Steven Gerrard swap his role at Liverpool with the youngsters, for the managerial role in the SPL with fallen giants Rangers.
Lampard has received several offers since hanging up his boots, but sources said the Derby job is something that would appeal to him.
The former Chelsea and England midfielder is eager to move into coaching, having worked as TV pundit since ending his glittering playing career a year ago.
Derby, who lost in the Championship playoff semifinals to Fulham, are drawing up a shortlist of candidates to take over from Rowett and Lampard figures highly on their wanted list.
"It's a big club with big history and big tradition, which I like".
Lampard, 39, has not made any secret of his desire to become a manager since his retirement as a player in February 2017. "We'll carry on speaking and we'll see".
The Rams are on the hunt for a successor to Gary Rowett after his switch to relegated Stoke City this week.
Derby seem to be edging closer to Premier League football once again, but they just can't seem to get the job over the line.
- Arsenal to sign Sokratis Papastathopoulos THIS WEEK: £16m deal close
- Another NBA Finals brings another huge challenge for LeBron
- Carlo Cottarelli to try to form Italian government
- Amir Khan slams report of affair with beautician as total nonsense
- Environment Canada issues heat advisory for GTA, southern Ont.
- Two young people die after falling ill at festival
- Klay Thompson reveals Warriors challenge after Game 6 Rockets win
- Peter King: Jets’ anthem stance ‘disgraceful’
- Fekir to Liverpool is not close, says Lyon president
- Real Madrid's Gareth Bale to 'seriously consider' future with Champions League winners