You've probably heard some fed-up folks grumbling about leaving the city - and now some businesses, too, in the fallout from our controversial new head tax on large companies. You don't want the quality of life to suffer.
Tarrant County Judge Glen Whitley said North Texas' business-friendly environment has played a role in the growth. A year ago it grew by more than a third of its population, making it the fastest-growing city, town or village in Florida. Seattle first entered the top 10 for density in 2014. The typical Los Angeles or New York City homeowner, for example, spends close to 30 percent of her income on mortgage and taxes, compared with about 22 percent in San Antonio and Phoenix.
An analysis of the latest figures done by Frey at the Brookings Institution found that Chicago was one of 16 larger cities across the country that lost population, and it had the third-largest drop. Each added almost 19,000 people between July of 2016 and past year. "That's a growth rate of 1.6 percent". With just 177,286 residents, Frisco - which ranked as the nation's fastest-growing city - easily outpaced the state's biggest city in population gain from July 2016 to July 2017. And Illinois dropped from fifth-largest to sixth-largest state in 2017.
The nation's housing stock grew by more than 1 million past year, reaching over 137 million units, according to Census reports. The majority of big USA cities also saw a slower pace of growth in 2017 than they did the year before. Phoenix, for instance, saw a population increase of 1 percent, or 24,036.
The East End towns were an exception to that decline, with Southampton Town posting a one-year increase of 263 people, or 0.45 percent.
The sluggish overall growth in Houston and some of the state's other big cities relative to explosive growth in the suburbs underscored the migratory story of Texas in recent years as large cities continue to buckle under housing demands and suburban development. In 2012, the only major city with negative growth was Detroit. It gained more than 83,000 residents to reach 352,000 by 2017, while smaller Sumter County gained about 32,000 residents to reach a population of 125,000.
"While the loss is minor from the standpoint of the city's total population, consistent population decline is a clear sign that the city is deficient in areas that typically attract and retain residents, investments and other products of healthy economic factors", Loury said. As it turns out, 2017 was another banner year.
- Bjorn names Westwood, Harrington, Donald and McDowell as Europe vice-captains
- EPA Bars Some Reporters From Attending Scott Pruitt Speech
- Candidate for Governor Nate Boulton Facing Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- Samsung opens new AI R&D centres in UK, Canada, Russia
- Klobuchar, Blunt Announce Bill to Overhaul Handling of Harassment Complaints
- Trump's Lawyer Took $500k to Set Up Meeting Between Trump, Ukraine President
- USA hits 5 Revolutionary Guards-linked Iranians with sanctions
- Saudi Arabia widens crackdown on women's rights activists
- Apple now lets users download everything the company has on them
- Rockets rally past Warriors in 4th to even series