It's hard to be swept in a series when you nearly never lose the finale.
J.D. Martinez did it again.
Up Next: The Red Sox look to salvage the three-game set on Thursday night.
Another day, another home run for Martinez. Martinez made sure that wouldn't happen Wednesday night, as the cleanup hitter went deep in the bottom of the first, giving Chris Sale a comfortable 3-0 lead.
The Red Sox trailed the A's for nearly the entirety of the first two games of the series.
Watch JD Martinez Blast 12th Home Run In First Inning Vs. Athletics
Given the middle of the Athletics order, Barnes threw a scoreless inning of relief, dropping his ERA to 2.89 on the season. Ramirez singled, Martinez walked and Bogaerts connected on a majestic drive that sailed out of sight toward Kenmore Square.
By now, we all know the story behind Drew Bledsoe and the "Scary Terry" shirts, but now we have Sale (and apparently other Red Sox players) with their own unique way of showing support.
The bad: One of those hits was a two run homer.
All of the A's runs came on homers, with Marcus Semien crushing a two-run shot off Sale in the fifth, and Matt Joyce and Matt Olson adding solo homers in the seventh and ninth.
Sale threw 60 pitches at 95 miles per hour or harder, a noticeable jump from the 92.9 miles per hour he averaged on his fastball through his first nine starts. Joe Kelly's leadoff walk in the eighth did no harm, as a fielder's choice and a 6-4-3 double play left the potential tying run in the on-deck circle.
- FDA approves first non-opioid drug to treat opioid withdrawal symptoms
- Sell-Side Sees Upside & Positive Growth in NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ:NVDA)
- Pliskova gets robbed against Sakkari! Halep dismantles Osaka — WTA Rome
- OnePlus 6 India launch in Mumbai at 3 PM today
- Microsoft (MSFT) Received a $117.00 Target Price by Goldman Sachs Analysts
- Casey up for National Basketball Association top coach honours, VanVleet sixth man nominee
- Ripple Launches Xpring Incubator for Businesses Using its XRP Services
- Bumble Bee CEO charged with price-fixing
- Bank of America (BAC) Position Increased by Wealthstreet Investment Advisors LLC
- ARENA provides funding to seed 'solar gardens' for apartment dwellers, renters