The absence of some of the country's top wrestlers from the national camp has drawn the ire of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), which has chose to discipline 15 national grapplers due to a breach of discipline, according to media reports. In 2014, Babita followed her sister by winning the gold medal in CWG.
The action taken by the federation against the wrestlers means that they could be barred from the Asian Games trials scheduled towards the end of May 2018.
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, President of the Wrestling Federation of India, said, "It seems that none of them is taking the camp seriously". WFI did so due to their alleged tantrums and undisciplined behaviour. "So, we have told them to sit at home and enjoy", he added.
When Babita was contacted regarding the issue, she cited knee injuries as the reason for her absence from the camp.
He capped it off by saying, "Let them first come to us and explain the reasons behind their actions".
Instead of Phogat Sisters, The Wrestling Federation had received several complaints against many other wrestlers, after which this action has been taken.
The wrestlers, including the famous Phogat sisters - Geeta, Babita, Ritu, and Sangeeta - will also not be able to take part in the Asiad trails, which will be held later this month to finalize the list for the upcoming quadrennial multi-sport continental meet, starting August 18 in Jakarta.
The men's and women's nationals are being simultaneously conducted in Sonepat and Lucknow from May 10 to 25. I admit I haven't informed the federation yet but I will send an application to them today itself, "Babita told PTI".
"Geeta is in Bangalore". I thought she has joined the camp.
Olympic medallists Sushil Kumar and Sakshi Malik are also not part of the training camps but they had sought permission from the WFI, according to The Telegraph. The 24-year-old, who competes in the 97kg category, had won a silver at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and a gold medal at 2016 Commonwealth Championships in Singapore.
Interestingly, Sakshi's husband Satyawart Kadian, a silver medallist at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, is also among those disciplined by the WFI.
- Stocks within Investors Radar: Novavax, Inc. (NVAX), Barrick Gold Corporation (ABX)
- Australia restricts live sheep exports after scandal
- 4 simple ways to prevent, control high blood pressure
- General Mills (GIS) Holdings Raised by Morgan Dempsey Capital Management LLC
- Yanks-Nats series postponed by rain; 2 games set for June 18
- Casinos Weigh In on Supreme Court Sports Gambling Decision
- Justin Verlander Gets 2500th Career Strikeout Against Shohei Ohtani
- Dear Walmart-Flipkart, we need some answers from you
- Smriti Mandhana, Harmanpreet Kaur to lead women's teams in T20 Challenge
- Action 'Doom Patrol' Series In The Works At DC Streaming Service