Almost 8 months after Amazon selected three local jurisdictions in Northern Virginia as part of its high-profile search for a North American headquarters outside of Seattle, a new report by The Washington Post is claiming that Apple is also exploring the possibility of opening another headquarters for about 20,000 employees in Northern Virginia.
North Carolina and Northern Virginia have risen as two likely candidates for Apple's third headquarters.
Apple completed its new $5 billion "spaceship" headquarters in Cupertino, last spring, which hosts more than 12,000 employees.
Tech giants like Apple and Amazon likely see value in going to the DC area to tap into the tech talent on the East Coast and build campuses closer to the USA government's center of power, in hopes of gaining lucrative government cloud-computing or hardware contracts. The proximity to Washington D.C. has made the area an attractive place for Silicon Valley's top companies.
Apple is said to be in talks with North Carolina state government officials over the prospect of establishing its rumored second campus in the vicinity of the state's popular "Research Triangle". Cooper has reportedly been negotiating an incentive package to entice Apple, but such a package is said to still need approval from the North Carolina state legislature. Apple is only seeking about 4 million square feet, while Amazon is looking for about 8 million square feet.
- Timber Hill LLC Purchases 8170 Shares of Express Scripts (ESRX)
- Evacuation Alert Issued For Farrell Street
- Johanna Konta through to third round in Rome
- Mercedes F1 Debuts New Rear Lights in Testing
- Banned ozone-destroying chemical makes a mysterious resurgence
- Downer spoke to FBI about Russian meddling in US election
- DEADPOOL 2's Original Ending Involved Killing Baby Hitler
- Josh Belk confirms Clemson transfer
- Gordon Ramsay's restaurant group faces kitchen nightmare after suffering £3.8m loss
- White Woman Calls Police on Black Real Estate Investor Inspecting House