The national weather service out of Binghamton, New York is touring the area now assessing damage in Wayne County.
The two twisters hit in two Putnam County towns about 10 miles from each other. An EF2 tornado with estimated peak winds of 110 miles per hour moved through a path of 100 yards in Kent.
In Orange County, police said at 11-year-old girl was killed when the vehicle she was in was crushed by a tree on Robinson Avenue in Newburgh. The EF0 tornado moved through a path of 674 yards with estimated peak winds of 85 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service.
Above reports are filtered to display the events within the News 12 viewing area
Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he was declaring a state of emergency in Putnam, Dutchess, Orange and Sullivan counties and said he was "deploying members of the New York National Guard to assist with recovery operations". In Newburgh, falling trees claimed the lives an 11-year-old girl in a parked auto and a woman who was driving.
Around them were downed trees and power lines, darkened homes and intersections without working traffic lights.
With 80 percent of the city still without power, residents came together Wednesday to grill meat and share food.
- Idaho Inches Closer To Electing The Nation's First Native American Governor
- Pitino points finger at Adidas in IN star's recruitment
- Storm causes havoc during New York City evening commute
- Church plans dialogue with Nicaragua's gov't
- Mets Places Yoenis Cespedes On 10-Day Disabled List
- Air France-KLM appoints temporary CEO amid labor standoff
- Craig-Hallum May Have Just Lost Faith in Mitel Networks (MITL)
- Analyst Recommendations And Earnings Forecast: General Electric Company (GE), Apergy Corporation (APY)
- Police in Windsor Are Seizing Homeless People's Belongings Before the Royal Wedding
- Watch Leading Technical indicator: Ascena Retail Group, Inc. (ASNA)