An MRI on Tuesday revealed the injury - picked up on May 6 - but the Mets made a decision to pull him from the lineup, stating he was available to pinch hit.
Cespedes last played on Sunday in which he actually went 2-4 with a solo home run.
Manager Mickey Callaway said he would only use Cespedes as a pinch hitter on Tuesday if the game was on the line. "So let's take a different route and make sure we're cautious with him and get him back to the Cespedes he can be sooner".
The outfielder suffered the injury May 6 against the Colorado Rockies.
"He was doing everything we asked of him, not only in the offseason, but in-season", Callaway said. In 2016, he dealt with a quad injury, and last season he was limited to 81 games with hamstring injuries. Despite being bothered by the strain, he has appeared in five games since then.
"He could've continued to gut it out, continued to play", Callaway said.
General manager Sandy Alderson said Tuesday the injury had not improved in recent days and suggested a stint on the DL might be in store. Phillip Evans has been recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas and is starting in left field for the Mets on Wednesday afternoon against the Blue Jays. May. Evans said he arrived in NY at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, 6½ hours before the scheduled first pitch against the Blue Jays.
- Square's Dorsey is sure of cryptocurrency's future, just not sure which one
- Deadpool 2: what did you think?
- Mikey Garcia explains why he doesn't believe Vasyl Lomachenko is a phenomenon
- Ayew Brother's Swansea City Relegated To English Championship
- Revenue Estimates Analysis Of Valero Energy Corporation (VLO)
- Global Artificial Knee Joint Market 2018-2025 ConforMIS, Scientific Corporation, Arthrex
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO) - Investors Must
- Indore, Bhopal, Chandigarh emerge as top 3 Cleanest Cities in 'Swacchta survey'
- On May, 24 DXC Technology Company (DXC) Analysts See $2.20 EPS
- Federal Agency Investigates Tesla Crash; Driver Says Car Was On Autopilot