Residents who live in a nearby town are reporting light amounts of ash after an eruption of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano.
The eruption from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano has been so massive, astronauts said they could easily see it from space.A.J.
The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency issued a warning to those in the pathway of the Hawaii volcano ash plume, saying people should shelter in place.
The plume of ash will cover the areas surrounding Kilauea, and the wind is predicted to carry the ash toward the southeast.
"Driving conditions may be risky so if you are driving pull off the road and wait until visibility improves", an alert from the observatory warned. "These reflect the most energetic explosions yet observed and could reflect the onset of steam-driven explosive activity", it explained. A BBC report notes that this causes stress on the volcano's base, fueling eruptions.
Officials have said they didn't expect the explosion to be deadly as long as people remained out of the closed national park.Kilauea is one of the world's most active volcanoes.
The volcano on the Big Island exploded at about 6 a.m. Mike Poland, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey, says the explosion likely only lasted a few minutes.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Congress, RJD for Karna model in Goa, Manipur and Bihar
- Trading Psychology - Nuance Communications, Inc. (NUAN), Box, Inc. (BOX)
- Simultaneous Polls 'Desirable', 'Achievable': EC to Law Commission
- Celtic slap massive price tag on star left-back Kieran Tierney
- Jets WR Robby Anderson has resisting arrest charges dropped
- Congress stakes claim to form government in Manipur
- Justice (retd) CS Karnan launches political party
- Golan Heights residents in bomb shelters after rocket siren activated
- Brush fire in Catskills destroys 27 buildings at bungalow colonies
- Children were on bus that crashed with truck