Jang was arraigned by alongside Yusuf Pam, a former government official in the state, on a 12-count charge bothering on diversion of public funds.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has reportedly remanded former governor of Plateau state and senator representing Plateau North, Jonah David Jang, in a police cell in Jos ahead of his arraignment in court on May 16.
Jang, who is now the Senator representing Plateau North district, is facing a 12-count charge of diverting N6.3bn alongside a former cashier in the office of the Secretary to the State Government, Yusuf Pam.
Jang has been charged with embezzlement of a large chunk of special funds the country's central bank gave to Plateau to grow small scale businesses in 2015.
Joined as co-accused, is Pam, alleged to have personally enriched himself with N11 million.
The counsel to senator Jang, Robert Clark on Monday said that the case of the ICPC was not due for hearing and that the court can not attend to the same charges from both EFCC and ICPC.
In particular, he urged the court to grant the ex-governor bail on self recognition, a plea which the prosecuting counsel opposed.
The EFCC counsel, Rotimi Jacob (SAN), however objected to Jang's application for bail, asking the court to look at the seriousness of the offence, the nature of the charge, the evidence available, the probability of the accused appearing constantly in the trial and the weight of the punishment.
He submitted that with Jang's military background, if granted the bail, would intimidate witnesses and use his influence to scare them away.
He cited Section 341 (2) of the 1999 constitution and argued that an offence which attracts an imprisonment of more than three years was not bail-able offence. I will humbly seek the leave of the court to withdraw the charge.
Delivering his ruling, Justice Longji, struck out the charges, saying "the prosecution has the right to withdraw the application, the case is hereby struck out". "They should be remanded in prison pending the ruling on his bail on Thursday next week", he said.
- World Health Organization releases first-ever 'Essential Diagnostics List' to reduce premature deaths
- Caesars Windsor and union reach tentative deal overnight
- National Home Builder Confidence Index Climbs to 70 in May
- Karan Patel announces 'Diwali Dhamaka' in the coolest pregnancy post ever
- Sunny Leone smoulders in sexy photoshoot in lingerie. See pics
- 01:25Pop and Lock: California Robber Breaks Out Dance Moves During Heist
- Mira Rajput glows as she smiles for paparazzi
- Egypt Admonishes Hamas Leader Over Gaza Riots
- Another transgender woman is murder in Dallas
- Winks signs new Tottenham deal until 2023