He then gave over $240,000 to the injured victims and the families of Akilah DaSilva, DeEbony Groves, Taurean Sanderlin and Joey Perez, who died in the shooting.
James Shaw Jr. became a national hero after he disarmed a naked gunman in a Tennessee Waffle House on April 22nd. "I think our judge has been very clear that we're not tolerating the shooting of guns at or even in the air sometimes when people are out playing with guns", said Mayor Percy Bland.
Shaw's first order of business after disarming suspect Travis Reinking (once the hospital treated his own injuries) was to set up a GoFundMe for the shooting victims with a goal of raising $15,000. In the end, he collected $241,826 - an amount that will be split evenly among the families.
A replica of the check was presented to the families during the luncheon. "I just want to say thank you".
Four balloons later were released on the university's campus in remembrance of those killed.
Police say Travis Reinking had displayed signs of mental illness before his IL gun card was revoked last summer. City officials say violence will not be tolerated as they look to make additional arrests in this case.
Renee Hampton, aunt of Sharita Henderson, who was injured in the Waffle House shooting, hugs James Shaw, Jr.
Glover said Shaw will receive a Special Presidential Recognition at Tennessee State's homecoming in October.
According to the Washington Times, Shaw later admitted that he was just thinking about saving himself when he made the split-second decision to try to wrest the gun away from Reinking. "But it seems like it inspired so many people throughout the world".
- Notley to push ahead with bill cutting off oil to BC
- Governor Ivey sexuality in questioned by former Alabama Legislator
- Here's how Raazi actor Vicky Kaushal will celebrate his 30th birthday
- Cleanup Under Way After Deadly NY Storm
- Pompeo seeking 'strong cooperation' with Europeans on Iran
- SC asks realty firm JAL to deposit Rs 1000 crore
- Saturday Night Live Digital Marathon Debuts on Twitch
- Big Update On The WWE RAW & SmackDown TV Deals
- Budget 2018: Better lives for children a focus of Budget 2018
- Craig-Hallum May Have Just Lost Faith in Mitel Networks (MITL)